Camaro Z-28 Transmission

I have a pretty nice 1994 Camaro Z-28, 5.7 Liter with automatic 4L60E transmission. I can start the car easily and put it in reverse and back out of my driveway, then shift to low and take off in low. But when the car gets enough speed to shift to 2nd gear, it totally slips and provides absolutely no power to the rear wheels. I can stop the car, then take off again in low, but when it shifts, same slipping again.

I am not sure what to do about this. I hate to mess with transmission shops as I think they are the biggest rip-off shops around. I guess my question is, does this sound like enough of a problem to rebuild or replace the transmission? I have contacted a few scrap yards that have "good" 4L60E trannys for sale. Is replacement pretty straightforward? I am a pretty fair small car (Midget and Sprite) mechanic, but haven't dealt with a larger car like the Camaro.

Sooo--bite the bullet and drop $1500-1800 at a tranny shop or go the scrapyard route and drop $300-$400 for the tranny and another $300-400 to have it installed? I'm wondering if the problem might be something fairly simple to repair? I have changed the fluid and replaced the filter.

I plan to sell the car after getting the tranny in good working order.

Reply to
DLancer7676

I think you should get over your paranoia and check with some local transmission shops. Unless you can determine the condition of the ones in the junk yard you should go with a reliable transmission shop.

Reply to
Woody

Or get a reman and do the install yourself. But only you know if that's within your capability.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Since this is your strategy, I don't see any reason to go for a bulletproof rebuild. I would probably get a good tranny from a wrecking yard and replace the old one.

If I were going to keep the car and drive it aggressively, I would look for the best transmission rebuilder I could find to try to make the 4L better than it came from GM.

Reply to
<HLS