timing belt gasket affecting coolant?

I have a 95 chevy camero v6 that is leaking fluid from the water pump. I was told the pump is fine but that I need to replace the timing belt gasket. How can that gasket affect my radiator lossing fluid? I'm not sure if I'm being taken or not here. Thanks.

Reply to
foodog

The engine in your car actually uses a timming chain and not a belt. The timming cover on your engine doubles as the housing for the water pump. The gasket you are inquiring about goes in between the two. Odds are it's actually your water pump that is leaking and not the gasket. When you buy a water pump it should come with the gasket you need.

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT