1500 door panel

have a '95 Cheyenne manual window & the outside door handle is loose, can't be a big deal to fix but I can not figure out how to get the door panel off.

any clues short of me buying a the repair manual.

Thanks captinharry Texas coast

Reply to
harry

I may be wrong about this but I thought they had a hex head bolt that stuck out on the end of the door. If so, you should be able to get to it without removing the door panel.

Reply to
nunya

There is one there, and another on the inside. I just replaced a broken handle on my 96 and the door panel had to come of. Mine were 10mm bolts.

John

Reply to
eightupman

Snap-On sells a long reach, 10mm ratched for removing or tightening the inside handle nut. I have one and haven't pulled a door panel since I've had it, for about a year. The cost is just under $30.

However if you do not want to go that route, like you won't be needing that tool again then the job of removing the door panel is simple. The window crank has a C clip that comes off easily using a tool made specifically for this purpose. If you can't afford one, there are several dollars, then use a shop rag, use an action much like shining a shoe and the clip will come off. Use a needle nose for re-installing the C clip on the handle before pushing the handle back on.

Once the window crank handle has been removed, remove the Phillips screw that sets in the arm rest then there are around 10 plastic clips that go around the parimeter of the panel, sides and bottom only. There is a tool for their removal, it looks something like a pickle fork but a pickle fork is not strong enough nor forked wide enough. You can rip the panel off at this point and then remove each plastic clip and put them back where they go on the panel one by one.

After the panel is off, put the window crank handle back on without the C clip and roll the window all of the way up. There is a direct access hole to the inside 10mm door handle bolt and you can tighten it just fine.

If at some point you were going to remove the handle for whatever reason, you will then need to remove the 3, T30 Torx fasteners that hold the door edge latch mechanism in place and also remove the outside 10 mm door handle bolt.

If you do not remove the latch mechanism fasteners before trying to remove the door handle then be expected to take a short trip to hell. Also do not remove the inner metal skin or again, you will take a somewhat longer trip to hell.

The job is simple, the long reach 10mm ratched wrench is like a bit of heaven, you can remove a door handle on these vehicles in less than 5 minutes.

Reply to
Rod Williams