1988 S10 PU 4.3L Wipers Out

1988 S10 PU 4.3L Wipers Out I cannot find a wiring diagram. Wipers just totally quit. The diagrams I have found for my truck are wrong! The You-Tube videos are wrong.

The Wiper fuse on the fuse block is good. Unplugged and plugged back in. Not blown. The wiper motor assembly has a connector with four wires going into it. There is no cover to access a circuit board.

Where is the actual circuit board? What relays re involved?

I see voltages on a few of the pins on the connector that is plugged into the wiper motor assembly. One voltage on that connector goes on and off based on the wiper switch Off/Low/Hi setting.

Have not tried to remove the wipe motor assy yet. Also the YouTube video to remove the wiper motor assembly is wrong. How do I remove the wiper motor other than the three bolts holding the wiper motor assembly. I see no way to remove the grate that runs across under the windshield if that may be necessary to release the wiper mechanism.

OldGuy

88 motor removes with the three bolts. The cowl trim panel comes off by removing the screws along the back edges of the slots and the screws on the flange under the hood.

Two screws on the clamp that holds the wiper transmission arm to the ball on the motor.

Circuit board is inside the motor cover, Also depending on which wiper system you have the intermittent timer is in there as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

How do I tell which system I have? I think it is the simple one since there are two speeds: slow and fast. No intermittent.

Looks like the motor assembly is riveted together (at least from the side I can see without removing).

What is the most likely cause for failure?

Bottom line, when I buy an assemble replacement what do I ask for?

OldGuy

You ask for a wiper motor for a 1988 S10

Reply to
clare

But then they will ask me which kind?

There is a loose connector tied in the harness right next to the connector going into the wiper motor assembly. probably for a different wiper motor assy.

OldGuy

You want the "basic" motor as you claim it has no intermittent.

Reply to
clare

Failures - bad brushes, connector failures are the most common.

The base level motor shows -

GM numbers #22049815, #22062915, #88961296

CARDONE Part #40-190 Dorman Part #601-107

Common unit used on a lot of GM vehicles.

Reply to
Steve W.

The motor for the wiper is notorious for bad connections. I took the cover off, unplugged card, and reinstalled. Might remove battery connection first, as a safety measure.

Reply to
bilz2765