1996 C/K 1500 Temperature Gage/overheating?

I have a 1996 C/K 1500 Silverado with 122k on it. When I start up in the morning the temperature rises steadily past 210 to about 250 with the "Check Gages" light coming on. Once it reaches this point, it will usually back off like the thermostat finally opened. When I drive the truck later in the day (heading home from work), I don't seem to have any problems. Several thermostats have been tried and the water pump was replaced recently. Does anyone have a clue of what is causing this problem or how to further diagnose?

TIA

Reply to
hmmm

========================== That sure sounds like a sticking t-stat. Check to make sure it is full of coolant also. When its dead cold pull the radiator cap and top it all the way up if its down at all. Then fill the bottle to the cold line. It sounds like the t-stat though. It is possible to get one out of the box that likes to hang up. I would try another one. Before installing drill about a 3/32 hole in the housing part of the stat, that will let it "bleed" a little before it opens. They already have a bleed hole in them but its so small you cant hardly even see it. GL

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
How can I be down