1996 RAM outside temperature display problem in overhead console.

I have a 1996 RAM 1500 Laramie SLT with the overhead console that show temperature and direction. The temperature readout says OC or maybe

0C and the US/Metric button doesn't seem to do anything now. I recently had a fender-bender where I read-ended a car at a light and had to have the bumper and grill replaced, that appeared to be the extend of the damage. Could this have caused the temperature problem? Anyone know where the sensor is located? It's hard to tell if it is a problem with the overhead console, since the compass still works.
Reply to
asdf

Raise the hood, look at the vertical support right next to the driver's headlight. That is where it would be if it were an '03 2500.

FMB (Part of the 88.5% employed in North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

"OC" means "Open Circuit." On a '99, the thermocouple is right under the RAM emblem on the front of the hood, forward of the radiator. Look for a broken or disconnected wire. BTW, "SC" (looks a lot like "5C" on the display) means "Short Circuit."

Reply to
Ed H.

On

99% of the time, when you see OC it means the thermcouple failed. It "could" be an open wire but probably not.

Tom, I snipped a bunch for ya....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Personally I have usually found the stupid connector has failed. Sometimes you can clean 'em and restore, frequently you end up replacing both the thermocouple and the connectors. Ouch!

Reply to
PeterD

If we could only talk the engineers into using a dab of di-lectric grease on assembly.........

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Chrysler hates anything even remotely to do with grease! (see my hubs threads!)

Reply to
PeterD