2000 silverado brakes

I just replaced the pads on my truck because of noise (grind) the fronts were fine but the rear were down to the sensors. I thought that would fix the problem but they still grind. I guess my question is how do the emergency brakes work on this as it is my first 4 wheel disk vehicle? And why did the rear brakes wear out before the front? Thanks Jim

Reply to
Firecat 7

"JFK" wrote

The only adjustment that can be made to your park brake shoes is right at the park brake shoe. What appears to be an adjustment at the cable is not an adjustment. It simply there to allow you to relax the cable if necessary.

There is a change-up to these shoes, and the fix is a different shoe retainer. Here is the difference:

The one on the right is the old style, left is the new style. The new style doesn't apply as much pressure to the brake shoe and allows it to "float" more. The problem with the old style retainer was that it would hold the brake shoe in contact with the drum and wear out the shoe prematurely. This is even if a person didn't use the park brake.

You need to replace the shoes, adjust them at the shoe...you will see the adjuster when you replace the shoes, use the new style retainer (which now comes with new shoes) and you should have your park brake back again.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Firecat 7

"Firecat 7" wrote

Yep, that's one of the symptoms. The brake shoe drags against the drum section of the rear rotor. Not so much the squeak...(at least I haven't heard/experienced that), but the grinding noise.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai