replaced braked pads screeching

The other week disc brake pads were replaced on a 2004 Corolla. Since then there is a kind of mild grinding sound when they are applied and loud screech noise (like a ships fog horn, but a higher pitch) after a bit of 'stop and start' traffic.

We were told to apply the brakes gently for the first fifty miles after fitting, which we did. We have now been told that the pads have 'glazed' and need sanding down.

Is this something that could of 'just happened sometimes' fairly naturally, or will the garage think it is likely to be our fault; because we did not treat them gently enough for the first fifty miles? Thanks.

Reply to
john east

sounds like you needed to have new discs fitted along with the pads

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's more likely to be because you've treated them too gently.

"
Reply to
Duncan Wood

A tiny bit, or less, of copaslip (copper based grease) applied to the piston side of the pads and the sliding portion, might help the screech.

In my experience some heavier braking during bedding in produces much better results. If you live near a motorway, drive up to the next junction and brake hard from 70 down to 40 on the slip road coming off, then steadily down to

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Copper grease on the back plates usually work

Reply to
Thomas