2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

My truck (2004 Silverado LS) has recently developed this apparently universal problem. It has 57K miles, and DID NOT have the problem when I bought it used in April.
So my question is this: Is this a safety issue, or just an annoying clunk that can be ignored?
--Steve
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:01:43 -0800, Steve wrote:

Whatever is clunking will eventually wear out and fail.
Probable the intermediate shaft, a known defect. There is a newly designed shaft that has so far eliminated my clunking.

Steve wrote:

My 2000 Silverado 4x4 Z71 Ext LT has had a few front end rattles
when the driver's door was slammed:
Had a loose drivers door window power regulator (FIXED)
Had loose self tapping bolts on the front Cross member skid plate (FIXED)
I now have a mild 'bump' rattle after the 4 Z71 shocks were replaced at 75K miles with stiffer Monroe Reflex units. (Not Fixed yet)
Steve wrote:

i hear a lot of these trucks doing this
Steve wrote:

Its most likely the ISS, its a known issue. Use a cord/rope/chain/whatever to hold the steering wheel from turning and unbolt the shaft at each end and remove it. Squirt some grease in the shaft and use a rubber stopper to plug the end (you can get them in the hardware stores) and compress the shaft to squeeze the grease into splines of the shaft. I think this spring I'm going to drill and tap mine for a grease fitting.
Eugene wrote:

So are you suggesting that GM's fix for this is to install a replacement intermediate shaft that has a grease fitting?
--Steve
GM's fix is to install the redesigned shaft.

Troy Sigwing wrote:

I know that, but I'm asking what's different about the replacement?
--Steve
It don't clunk?

Steve wrote:

No, they put in the same shaft hoping it will last until your warranty runs out or you trade it for another truck. If you don't and complain loudly enough you sometimes get an updated shaft that doesn't clunk as soon as the original.
I had mine replaced out of warranty for free. Had to convince the service writer, but they did do it, so far so good.