2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

Threaded View

My truck (2004 Silverado LS) has recently developed this apparently
universal problem.  It has 57K miles, and DID NOT have the problem when
I bought it used in April.

So my question is this:  Is this a safety issue, or just an annoying
clunk that can be ignored?

--Steve

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

Whatever is clunking will eventually wear out and fail.

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

Probable the intermediate shaft, a known defect.  There is a newly designed
shaft that has so far eliminated my clunking.

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

     My 2000 Silverado 4x4 Z71 Ext LT has had a few front end rattles

      when the driver's door was slammed:

       Had a loose drivers door window power regulator (FIXED)

       Had loose self tapping bolts on the front Cross member skid plate
(FIXED)

       I now have a mild 'bump' rattle after the 4 Z71 shocks were
replaced at 75K miles
            with stiffer Monroe Reflex units. (Not Fixed yet)

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

i hear a lot of these trucks doing this

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

Its most likely the ISS, its a known issue.  Use a cord/rope/chain/whatever
to hold the steering wheel from turning and unbolt the shaft at each end
and remove it.  Squirt some grease in the shaft and use a rubber stopper to
plug the end (you can get them in the hardware stores) and compress the
shaft to squeeze the grease into splines of the shaft.
I think this spring I'm going to drill and tap mine for a grease fitting.

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

So are you suggesting that GM's fix for this is to install a replacement
  intermediate shaft that has a grease fitting?

--Steve

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

GM's fix is to install the redesigned shaft.

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

I know that, but I'm asking what's different about the replacement?

--Steve

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

It don't clunk?

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

No, they put in the same shaft hoping it will last until your warranty runs
out or you trade it for another truck.
If you don't and complain loudly enough you sometimes get an updated shaft
that doesn't clunk as soon as the original.

Re: 2004 Silverado Front End Clunking

I had mine replaced out of warranty for free.  Had to convince the service
writer, but they did do it, so far so good.

Site Timeline