'82 Chevy S10 rough idle after Spark Plug replacement

I just replaced the spark plugs in my recently acquired Chevy S10, and was upset to find that after putting in the brand new shiny plugs, the truck actually idles rougher than before.

I'm pretty new to auto mechanics, but this is my project truck and I'm using it to learn more about it all.

How should I proceed? It seems like one of the cylinders isn't firing, but I don't know for sure, so I guess I'm going to take the new plugs out one by one and check them for any damage or goop.

Is there something simple I'm missing?

Thanks,

MattClark

Reply to
Matthew D. Clark

Troy

or drop one of the plugs screwing up the gap....

Reply to
chrome

Check for: Correct plug gap, crossed plug wires, cracked insulator on replacement plug, damaged plug wire(s) or generally check everything in the ignition system that you touched while doing this job.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

. '82 Chevy S10 rough idle after Spark Plug replacement Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Sep 19, 2003, 8:25pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Matthew=A0D.=A0Clark) I just replaced the spark plugs in my recently acquired Chevy S10, and was upset to find that after putting in the brand new shiny plugs, the truck actually idles rougher than before. I'm pretty new to auto mechanics, but this is my project truck and I'm using it to learn more about it all.

How should I proceed? (ahhh.........a question.........and a good one)

It seems like one of the cylinders isn't firing, but I don't know for sure, so I guess I'm going to take the new plugs out one by one and check them for any damage or goop.

Is there something simple I'm missing? (ahhhh..... question #2 ....)

Thanks, MattClark =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Matt, Wtih the truck running at idle, disconnect one ignition wire at a time at the spark plugs. The one that DOES NOT seem to make a drastic difference in the way the truck runs will lead you to the area quick.

When you find the affected cylinder.....

1) Check the ignition wire connector good, ensure you didn't fubar the terminal end or the wire.

2) Pull the spark plug, check the gap and the electrode.

The above should narrow it down quicker than yanking all the plugs. If all you did was change the spark plugs......one of the above will hopefully cure your symptoms. The unfortunate thing is......you may have gotten some trash down in the cylinder wihile the plug was being changed, but this will usually cause a "knock" if it's enough to cause problem.

Now this is all "ass u me"ing that all you did was change the plugs. =

that is all you did.........................right? _ _

0 0 ( O

if not, do a follow up post for better clues.

Scrib Abell

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2317.public.lawson.webtv.net, Scribb Abell at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote on 9/19/03 5:19 PM:

I like your suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Yes, all I did was change the spark plugs.

I am a little concerned by your ominous note about possible 'trash' in the cylinder. Because the engine is very greasy and dirty and I wouldn't be surprised if some gunk fell in, though I tried cleaning around the plug before installation (however, a cynic might think I loosened all the gunk up so it could easily blow on into the cylinder). Also, now I'm hearing a knock, but that could be my fearful imagination.

How bad is it if "trash" fell in?

thanks again,

MattClark

Reply to
Matthew D. Clark

Like suggested, I tried pulling the ignition wires one by one to see if I could locate the fouled plug, but every plug seemed to make a significant difference in idling speed.

I pulled out two plugs to check their condition after 5mins of idling, one was fairly clean but the other had some oil on it.

I tried revving the engine a little, and there were a few backfires, then the engine cut out and wouldn't start again.

Could this all be timing related?

::The engine was idling fairly smooth. All I did was pull out the old sparks, which were left in for way too long, had big carbon buildup and extreme gaps. Put the new Platinum Plugs in, and wham!...rough idling, backfires, etc...

Now I think I hear a clicking noise, but it might be paranoia, it could just be the PCV valve because I only hear it on the left side.

I'm at a loss. About to go to mechanic, though I can't afford it.

help,

MattD

Reply to
Matthew D. Clark

throw those platinum pieces-of-shit away and put in a set of AC Delco's

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Amen. Only time to use platinums is if they came factory in stuff like the 3.4, and only Delco. Bosch should never ever be used in a domestic Chevy.

Reply to
John Alt

throw those platinum pieces-of-shit away and put in a set of AC Delco's

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Sep 19, 2003, 10:21pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (John=A0Alt) In article

Amen. Only time to use platinums is if they came factory in stuff like the 3.4, and only Delco. Bosch should never ever be used in a domestic Chevy. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I second the second.......AC Delco

Scrib Abell

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Ok you replaced your plugs now your haveing more probs.well like everyone else has stated you should put delco plug in check your gap although preset they come sometime misgapped.Then look at your firing order make sure all you wires are ok and placed right pulling wires at idle is great to find bad wires but if you have crossed you wires in the first place your defeating the purpose.crossed wires will sometime cause sparkknock and sound like a timing issue.Before going to a mechanic check you firing order change and check the gap in your plugs look at your cap and button for corrosion and ware.after that then tell us what happened or if it works walk around proud and we can give you a big story to tell everyone to make it sound like you were a master hope this helps

Reply to
Steve Cook

throw those platinum pieces-of-shit away and put in a set of AC Delco's

========

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Sep 19, 2003, 10:21pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (John Alt) In article

Amen. Only time to use platinums is if they came factory in stuff like the 3.4, and only Delco. Bosch should never ever be used in a domestic Chevy. ==========

I second the second.......AC Delco

Just out of curosity, what technically is the problem with Bosch platinums?

Reply to
chrome

they are over-priced pieces of shit

I realize that's pretty non-technical, but it sums up the matter in a few words

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Me too. I want to know what is wrong with them.....(technically)

Reply to
Scott M

Well, I'm not sure, but I think Bosch screwed up the heat range. I've got a neighbor that owns a diesel repair shop. They do the little ones, too. He's got a five gallon bucket of Bosch plugs that he's pulled out of vehicles, and done nothing else to fix them. And he stopped collecting at that one bucket. Consider that stores are selling these platinum plugs for as little as 1/5 the price of the Delco (3.4 litre Lumina, .99 Bosch, 4.99 Delco Platinum at Autozone), and it's not hard to imagine that they are cheaply made.

Reply to
John Alt

Technically?

Simple.

Dean Dardwin likes 'em.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Haven't heard that name on her in a long, long time. He kinda fell right off the face of the earth didn't he?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Last I heard, he had taken an extended vacation with Altovoz. ;-)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ok thanks for the "technical" answer

Reply to
chrome

sounds like a bias against these plugs for some reason.....Seams alot of people dont like them but don't know why? Dont get me wrong, on my Chevy I prefer GM parts but just curious why these plugs are hated so much. I used to use Champion all the time(thats what the parts room stocked) ,and never had a problem with them. But I've heard people say that Champions are complete junk! Dont ever use them! I dont ever recall putting in a plug that didnt fire off the shelf, or even failed because of something other than worn out or foulded. Maybe it is the tech finds a bad plug of a certain brand that looks fine, bans them, and talks them down for life because of just bad luck or a one in a million bad plug....Hell, I dont know, just a guess. If its a platnium thing, I would recommend them to anyone who wont do prevenative tune ups. Ive only had experience with the Motorcraft platinums though, they seem to last about 80K. Not bad at all......

Reply to
Scott M