hey IAN and DOC

I'm in the middle of resurrecting a 4.3.............had a cracked head

the question:

since the rocker arm covers are going to be HELL to remove once its in the chassis (S-10), what's the best way to set the rocker arms while its on the stand ?

prime the oil system with no pushrods in it, then crank them down to 'snug'

  • a quarter turn ?

any advice appreciated, I really don't want to fight that #$%^%$#$^ rear heater hose connector once it's installed.........

Regards,

Gary Glaenzer

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote

Must be an older 4.3, as they haven't had adjustable rockers for a while.

I've never had to prime anything when setting small block (style) rocker arms. Just take them to zero lash, and then 3/4 of a turn. You could go 1/4 if you want. 1 turn actually centers the lifter in it's bore. In fact, I think there were some years that called for 1.5 turns after zero, but

3/4 has always worked for me.

If you scrounge a manual for it, it should give you the positions that can be adjusted at #1 TDC, and #4 TDC. Much simpler, as you can do half in one pass, and half on the other.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

it's a 93

aren't those adjustable ?

Gary Glaenzer

It looks to me like a 93 could go either way, Screw in studs are torque to

20 ft lbs but press in studs are adjustable. Is it a vortec? I think they were all screw in. Bob
Reply to
Bob

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote

I can't remember what year it changed for the

4.3's....but it should be obvious if you remove one of the nuts and rocker balls. If the stud will allow the ball to move all the way up and down the stud, then it will need to be adjusted, but if it has a shoulder that stops the ball at a certain point, it would be a non-adjustable one.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

well, hell

the things you learn here

the machine shop guy said something about 'screw-in studs' when I took the heads in.........so I guess that means non-adjustable, right ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

no, not a Vortec, but the machine shop guy remarked that the heads had screw-in studs

Gary Glaenzer

I would say so, but like Ian says look for a shoulder on the stud to be 100% certain, but yes... screw in studs should be non adjustable. Bob

Reply to
Bob

G,

Pretty sure the 93's were non adjustable..............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"