'95 S10 rear diff

Hey there, I recently had some work done to my rear differential (pinion seal & axle seals). After it was put back together I noticed there was a leak around the cover on the differential. I removed the cover, drained the oil, and put a new seal on. However, I noticed there was quite a few filings in the oil (I only had put about 400 miles onto it since the work was done when I noticed the leak). So I put the cover on, filled it up with oil and took the truck for a spin (about 10 miles). Got out and inspected the differential. I noticed that it was really hot. If I held my hand there for more than 3 seconds it felt like it was going to get burnt. Unforunately I am not to knowledge with this part of the vehicle, is this something I should be concerned about and have inspected or is it common for the rear diff to get really hot?

Any advice would be great appreciated, thank you

Nathan

Reply to
apt

Who did the work ? If a friend, live and learn. If a shop, take it back.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Take it back to who replaced the seals and tell them this story you posted.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Take it back to the shop. Sounds like they did something wrong with the pinion.

Reply to
Steve W.

It was all the shop's doing. I'll get it back into the shop and see what they to say.

Thank you all very much for your input!

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan