Leaking rear diff

The rear diff on my Disco (200Tdi, 1993) is leaking at the output flange. I replaced the oil seal, which improved things, but there is still a leak.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pieter Vroom

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

It sound suspiciously like the seal got damaged when being put in I'm affraid. :-(

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Or the shaft has got a groove worn in it? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Maybe the breather is blocked somewhere.When you're driving the thing gets warm,air inside is expanding,pushing the oil through the seal?

Woodstock

Reply to
Woodstock

If you are sure that you didin't damage the seal when fitting it's possible the flange shaft is worn, look for a groove in it. Try cleaning it with a bit of 400 grit wet and dry paper and seat the seal a bit further in or out (if possible) so the seal runs on a none worn part of the flange. Also may sure you grease the inner lip of the seal before refitting the flange, you can be reasonably liberal here. Good luck Cappy

Reply to
Caploc