95 S10 Stalls out and won't start back up

Specs on my truck:

1995 Chevy S10 Extended Cab LS 171, 000 Miles

I just got an oil change this past Monday (Penzoil High Mileage

10w/30). Today, I was driving out of town, truck was running normal. What I can remember of what happened from when I started it to when it died out on me 5 minutes later was that I had the AC on maximum level, but down low to let it cool up and then to raise it up to cool off the truck with it being so hot outside (96 degrees). When I went to raise the temp one notch, the truck started to coast, I had no power from truck besides the the radio. No lights came on the dash or anything. I have a very hard time pushing the brake and get it to stop. When I stop, I shift it to park (with brake on) and the gears make a grinding sound.

At this point, the wheel is locked up, the brake is hard to press even a tiny bit and the key won't turn. Finally the key will turn but no noise, no clicks, nothing. Turned the key to off and pulled it out, put it back in and tried again, nothing except that the radio would come on and when you open the door, the beeeeeeep sound would come on, and hazard lights could flash. Beyond that, it is dead.

I just put a new alternator less than 6 months ago, as well as a new battery and cable hookups as it died and it was the alternator & battery both went out. I'm at wits end with this truck at this point. I've bought it used in 96 and have had it since. I've kept up with maintanence to a T and now it is standing still.

Anyone have any suggestions of what might have went wrong????

Reply to
Jessica

Check the EGR value. My 95 S-10 has similar problems. Clean the EGR and it ran fine. Keep it clean.

Reply to
Jim Becker