'95 maxima won't start

My '95 maxima (131k miles) wouldn't start this morning. It sounds like the starter is turning strongly, but the engine won't start. The starter was replaced about 6 months ago. I tried jumping the battery, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Grant

Additional information: I cleaned the battery terminals and jumped the car again. The starter was making a high pitched sound and the engine just wasn't "catching". After several attempts over 2-3 minutes, it finally started, stumbled a bit and then ran okay.

I'll hope I don't run into this again, but any clues to what was wrong are appreciated.

Reply to
Grant

If the starter was turning (rapidly from your description), why were you messing with the battery terminals and trying to jump start it?

It sounds like ("high pitched sound") maybe the starter wasn't engaging the engine, which would mean the new starter is crap. But then when you say it stumbled when it finally started, that would likely mean a leaky injector was flooding it. Were you doing anything with the accelerator pedal while trying to start? If so, what? If not, then the next time it doesn't want to start, hold the pedal down while you crank it and see if that makes it start. If it does, then you are looking at a leaky/stuck injector.

Reply to
E Meyer