A/C Problem

I have a 1998 1500 Silverado with 5.0 liter. When I push the a/c button the light on the recycle comes on also, even when its not pressed. The compressor comes on for a few seconds then shuts off. It does it repeatedly with no cold air coming from the vents. The compressor does the same thing when I use any setting past the floor setting.

Sid

Reply to
Sid

Sounds like you have a leak / need a charge. The compressor has a pressure switch which keeps the A/C compressor clutch from engaging when pressure is low, to prevent compressor damage. The main symptom is just as you noted - or, in the case of *really* low pressure, the clutch won't engage at all.

- Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

I bought some 134a as recommended. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. There are 2 connectors on the top, close to the compressor, is one of them where I recharge system?

Sid

| >Sid | >

Reply to
Sid

Not familiar with your model, but you want to charge the LOW pressure fitting. Buy a Haynes manual if you're not sure. Run the A/C while you are doing it; if this is indeed the problem, after a can or so, the clutch should start picking up and the A/C pipes under the hood should get cold/frosty.

Bear in mind that this does not address the issue of why your 134a leaked out. Typically this is dried-up seals in the compressor, from not being run enough in northern climates. This would require a compressor replacement. Just adding refrigerant is only a temporary fix, and will be satisfactory only in the event of a VERY slow leak. But you may get lucky!

- Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

I will give it a try. Thanks Sid

| >Sid | >

| |

Reply to
Sid

Reply to
none2u

The line going from the condensor outlet to the evaporator inlet is the high side of the system. The evaporator outlet to the dryer/accumulator, then to the compressor is the low side.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

What are the 2 inlets near the compressor?

Reply to
Sid

Sid, if you mean the inlets connected to the lines going to the compressor, one is the low pressure freon coming in from the evaporator. The other is hot high pressure freon going out to the condensor in front of your radiator. Best I can do without seeing your car.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton