Another Camry Question - Does a 1998 have a cabin air filter?

Hello again,

I quit smoking cigarettes over five years ago but every time I start my 1998 Camry, I still get a blast of air that smells like stale cigarettes - especially when the A/C is set to cycle the interior air. I used to smoke in my car OFTEN.

I have removed all the ashtrays, cleaned the whole interior including the carpets and upholstry. I even removed and cleaned the carpet in the trunk but still I get that SMELLY STALE CIGARETTE air for a couple of minutes when first started.

My question: does this year Camry have a Cabin Air Filter? I've had no luck Googling it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kaz aka Jack C.

Reply to
Kazumé

I have a 2000 Camry LE and it does not have a cabin air filter. I had inquired about the same thing to my local Toyota dealer for the same issue. I had never smoked in the car, but the previous owner did quite heavily. The only response from them was to have them clean the air vents internally at a price. I just learned to live with it after that...good luck!

Reply to
camryguy89

Not aware that my 99 Camry CE has one--I would have discovered it by now.

Reply to
Sharx35

No. Camry's cabin air filter didn't come into existence until the next generation in 2002. However, I believe some Avalons had them earlier.

Reply to
john

No cabin filter, google is your friend google "how to get rid of smoke smell in car" one of the webpages and there are plenty more,

Fatter Than Ever Moe

Yep, John is right. Camry does not have them until 2002. Some avalons have then earlier. I don't know about corolla, i think 2003 or so. Change them every 20-30,000 miles for the cabin filter.

Reply to
msrdude

replying to , Richbo wrote: Oh yes the 1998 camry has a cabin air filter. See this video on how to change it

Richbo

replying to camryguy89, Peter wrote: there are product on line that remove smoke odor from the car. Car care products

Reply to
Peter

replying to Richbo, THBU wrote: I have a Camry 98 and it doesn't have a cabin filter. However, after messing around with it and watching DIY videos i found some kind of filter. You could see it if you remove either one of the centre "air vents" and look through. Reaching it was kind of difficult since I had to remove the thing in front of the driver, including the steering. It took me hours cause, well, it's the first time I ever do that. Hope this helps.

Reply to
THBU