4x4 problem 01 silverado 1500 series

When I engage the 4 wheel drive on my 01 4x4 1500 Silverado the light blinks but it will not engage in hi or low range. How do you troubleshoot it. In the two wheel mode the light stays solid
Thank for you help in advance or any ideas
more than likely its the switch on the dash we do a pile of them

Replace the switch on the dash. gm has a servive bullitien out for that concern