bought boat w/trailer - how to hook up wiring to truck?

We have a '99 Silverado 1500 pickup. We did NOT get the towing package when we ordered the truck. DH had a hitch put on last year, but not the wiring. Now we bought a boat w/a Trailmaster trailer. We need to hook up the trailer wiring to the truck. HELP!

Reply to
M. Baker

Good luck.

Reply to
Bill

I had good luck with Walmart for several vehicles. But you're dealing with an older vehicle at this point so if they don't have what you want (also check the web page for their manufacturer of harness adapters) you can "roll your own" with the hard part of the electronics done for you. Look at this:

I've never dealt with the folks in that web page so proceed with normal cautions. You might be able to find similar products for a better price it you'll take the time to do some research. Help is there for you. Google is your friend.

Reply to
nonsense

Thanks for the link - I'm going to print it off. Do we need to do the Brake Controller part of it also? My husband just got the wiring kit, but nothing for brakes. Do you only need that if the trailer has that "brake assist" feature? I don't think it has brake assist.

Reply to
M. Baker

Most boat trailers are fitted with surge brakes. There is no electrical connection other than the brake lights.

Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Okay. BTW it's a 17' Lund boat, so not huge or anything.

I talked to a guy here at work and he said the Brake Controller is only usually needed if you're towing something really big/heavy. He doesn't even have it for his trailer and he's got a 26', so he didn't think I'd need the Brake Controller thing.

QUESTION: From the etrailer.com link, it says the Yellow wire is L turn/brakes, and Dark Green is R turn/brakes. The brake lights don't need their own wire? They take the same wire from the turn signals?

Reply to
M. Baker

If you're having trouble with these sorts of directions it might be best if you paid someone to do the job for you.

Reply to
nonsense

No time - we need to tow it this weekend. Otherwise I would, believe me.

Reply to
M. Baker

Yes. when you hit the turn sig ,say left, it blinks the left brake light..... This is not true on every vehicle (some have seperate turn signals) but I'm

99% sure it is on an older chevy like yours.
Reply to
ScottM

THANK YOU!!!

Hopefully all goes well and we're on the road on schedule Saturday. He got the mounting bracket done last night, so just has the wiring to do yet. Although, curiously, the wiring kit didn't include screws/ washers to attach the bracket to the truck. ??? Luckily he thinks he has some he can use in the basement.

Reply to
M. Baker

oops saw '91 somewhere, if yours has seperate turn signals you can get a converter for it. Its a little box with wires hanging out that will convert seperate turn signals to the boat trailer. like this:

ScottM

The larger auto parts dealers carry the converters , usually they have a list of vehicles that need the converters. Next time you have a trailer question alt.rec.boat or boating has some knowledgeable people they can also answer the boat problem questions that hopefully you won't have in the future !

Reply to
PhilO

Well, all seemed to go well. He got the wires done last night and hooked it up to the trailer before crimping them down. All the lights

- running lights, brake lights, turn signals, came on when tested.

Reply to
M. Baker

Congratulations on getting it to work . This is nothing to do with the lights .The trailer should have two chains on either side of the tow bar, people usually just hook then to the hitch on either side of the hitch, they are supposed to be crossed to the opposite side. The theory is if the towball fails or the trailer becomes unhitched the towbar will fall into the cradle created by the chains so it won't plough into the road and cause it to pole vault .I live near the coast and see boats hitched incorrectly every weekend .

Reply to
PhilO

I'd not heard that. I heard that it was cause you don't want to pull the chain too far, going around corners. I must be living a country western song. Been doing it right for all the wrong reasons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon