Lifter Noise

Hello, I was wondering how serious lifter noise is? I have 98 350 with

110000 miles on it and I am starting to hear a little lifter noise, not very loud, you have to be right over the area with the hood open, seems to be coming from the #1 cylinder area. I did the hose to the ear thing but did not detect any increase in volume regardless of where I placed it on the rocker cover. I also ran the engine with out the serpentine belt to eliminate any possible belt noise, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.........Ed
Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Try slick 50 it helps.

Reply to
Frankie T.

appreciated.

If it only has an oil press. warning light, I'd sure put a guage on it and check the oil pressure if it was mine. If the pressure is okay, I'd try a can of Rislone in the crankcase. I'm not discounting the advice about slick

50, but I have no experience with it.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Slick 50 is a lot of hype and bs more than anything else. Teflon supposed to coat metal parts, at least its not chlorinated like a lot of the snake oils on the market have been. Remember the adds for the product where they would use a bar to put pressure on a bearing and measure the foot pounds of torque it took to stop it? Product gone, had chlorine in it. Very slippery yes, very caustic also. Funny how they left that part out of the ad's and infomercials they were doing.

Is the poster sure he's not hearing injector noise?

I agree get a gauge on it if it doesn't have one and see what it reads. Rislone is pretty good, and so is the age old stand by Marvel Mystery Oil.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"" wrote: > Hello, I was wondering how serious lifter noise is? I have 98 > 350 with > 110000 miles on it and I am starting to hear a little lifter > noise, not very > loud, you have to be right over the area with the hood open, > seems to be > coming from the #1 cylinder area. I did the hose to the ear > thing but did > not detect any increase in volume regardless of where I placed > it on the > rocker cover. I also ran the engine with out the serpentine > belt to > eliminate any possible belt noise, any info would be greatly > appreciated. > Thank you.........Ed

When these small blocks get a few miles on them it often helps to adjust the lifters. Its messy, but with the rocker cover off you can usually tell what is tapping and give that rocker another half turn or just do the whole adjustment process by loosening it until it taps noticeably and then give it three quarters of a turn down. Good Luck, RW

Reply to
RRW

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Lifter tick is caused by two things, low oil pressure or dirt in the lifter piddle valve. Slick 50 will not fix either. Try a lifter cleaner (not Risolene because my son blew a engine with that stuff once) and/or a different grade/type of oil too.

Reply to
SnoMan

I would try to clean them myself with a additive just for lifter cleaning. Also try a 10w30 oil if you are using 5w30 and change oil and filter every 3000 miles or less on a high mileage engine too. It would have to be pecking really bad before I would replace lifters because though it is not as much a issue today if you have roller lifters but I have seen new lifters wipe out old cams because lifters and cams breaking together and kinda "fit" together

Reply to
SnoMan

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Ed Atyeo