95 Caravan drivers Seat recliner adjustment

Does anyone know if it is possible to 'adjust' the recliner mechanism for the drivers seat in a 95 Caravan SE?

I ask because my seat back no longer sits as far forward/upright as it once did even after pulling the handle to bring it all the way upright. I am starting to feel like one of the kids tooling around town in their ricer as they lay in the back seat (though mine is not quite that far back). In any case it is annoying and on my sons GM (Camaro) there was an adjuster that had slipped and it was an easy fix. Is this possible on the Caravan or has my fat as somehow bent the seat back.

TIA

Reply to
BG

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 17:49:33 -0500, "BG" appeared to write:

It's probably broken. I had same symptoms. Had it welded but it broke a year later. (I weigh 250).

Had a junk yard seat installed. I have '94 Caravan but I believe a '95 seat was installed with old upholstery superimposed.

Replacement seat still working fine.

Seems as though this is a known problem at least to my friendly body shop.

Bruce Swinden

Hmm, Not sure it is broken as it still functions and locks at different points. It is possible it is bent though and that is what I am trying to determine. I am 260 and admittedly could shed a few pounds, but I would think the seat would be designed for more than this (for safety sake if nothing else).

Thanks for the response by the way.

Reply to
BG

Every one of these I've sat in, including mine, has had the same problem with the manual seat.

Like you say, it still locks into various positions, but won't sit upright very well. Sometimes one side of the seatback feels weaker (leans back more) than the other.

I suspect it's a busted weld, but I haven't had the time or inclination to take it apart to find out for sure. I haven't measured or anything, but the seats from the previous generation ('87-'91) Caravan might fit, and they were a helluva lot stronger. There's a bazillion of 'em in the junkyard.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff