'96 Grand Caravan plugs... ick!

Alright... am I REALLY gonna hafta pull the alternator and throttle body to get at the back plugs on this 96's 3.8 liter V6??

Reply to
Matt Ion

It is a pain, isn't it? i believe if you pull the wiper cowling off, its accessable, OR you can get at them from underneith.

Reply to
flobert

Yeah, I found that suggestion on autozone.com... I haven't looked at the van with that in mind yet, but I can't imagine that helping thinking about how the intake wraps over the plugs.

Interesting, I'll have to give that a look too... the exhaust manifold isn't in the way?

These plugs are LOOOOOOOOONG overdue for a change in this beast...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Its not jsut that one. I've gott his 87 with a 3l engine, as well to try and check. That one you have to get at from underneith. I should pull the plugs in my 97 T+C too. the delivery price sheet says it has

100k plugs in, its now got 135k on the clock (or thereabouts) and probably didn't have the plugs done by the previous owner at 100k
Reply to
flobert

I was able to do my '99 3.8L (same design) without removing anything other than the alternator bracket. It took a lot of time, but with the right extensions and swivels I was able to get to all but the one near the alternator from behind/underneath. My arms showed the scars from the pain afterward, but the job got done. With the vehicle jacked up on the body (not just on stands), there was more room between the engine and the firewall to work.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the tips, everyone... I ended up being too sick all this past weekend to deal with it, so hopefully next weekend I'll be able to give it a go.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Bob,

Can you explain that. What do you mean by jacked up on the body? DO you mean stands under the jack points on the unibody rather than on ramps?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Frank,

I just meant that with the weight of the vehicle supported on the body/frame, the front axle and wheels are allowed to drop lower. (As compared to if you simply drive the vehicle up on ramps and the full weight is still on the wheels so the springs are compressed by the weight of the vehicle.)

As I recall, the front three plugs (from the front top), plus the rear driver's plug (from underneath) took 5-10 minutes. The middle rear took ~30 minutes of fumbling and swearing (and once I removed the alternator bracket), the rear passenger side plug took another 15 minutes or so.

Good luck and report on your experience to benefit others. Most who have done these admit the job is a PITA.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob,

Thanks, that explains it. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Will report on the outcome.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher