Re: SPARK PLUGS-96 GRAND CARAVAN

Good idea to select dual plat plugs so that you can reasonable extend the time you have to do this exercise again. Good time to change the rear plug wires with heat shields, as well.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Actually, no.

Here are the Mitchell labor times for sparkplug replacement.

Dodge Caravan 1987-02 V-6 1.1hrs. Dodge Intrepid 1993-02 V-6 .7 hrs.

Same labor time respectively no matter which V-6 is involved, and it doesn't get much easier than a 3.3 in an Intrepid.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Bill,

I have a 1999 w/3.8L V6 and just changed my plugs (only 48K miles, but engine was stumbling at idle). I was able to get all 6 plugs and replaced them with the highest quality platinum plug made by Champion for this application (electrodes were larger too as I recall, sorry but don't have the number handy).

The front 3 plugs took about 5 minutes total time.

The driver's side rear plug took another 5 minutes by itself since I had to crawl under the jacked up vehicle to get it from backside underneath.

The middle plug on the back was a bit more of a challenge, but I was able to get it out and replaced in about 15 minutes using a swivel socket and extension. I found that jacking up the front end created enough space to get my arm up and to the plug.

The passenger side plug in back was a real PITA. I ended up pulling the alternator bracket (did not need to remove the alternator) and accessing from the top to remove the old one and also climbing back underneath to put the new one in. I was not able to get this plug wire removed without breaking it so then needed to replace the whole set. This plug and the whole set of wires ended up taking me another 2 hours or so. By the time I was done my arms were pretty cut up from the reaching through tight spaces and contortions.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'm going by what the service manager told me when I considered having mine done. He said the book specifies the intake manifold needs to come off and it was over $300.

Also, years ago, I did a head gasket job on my 3.0L and got the timing wrong. I gave up and took it in to the dealer and watched the tech fix it in an hour. I was charged according to the book (3 hours or thereabouts), which specified all the accessories come off. I complained and the service mgr explained that the techs always look for ways to beat the book to improve their productivity.

Maybe the dealer has their own books (not Mitchell).

Reply to
David Allen

What did the set of wires cost? Probably more than the labor charge to have the garage change the plugs! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I think he was handing you a line of bull. I've done sparkplugs on the 3.3/3.8 up to model year 2002 and have never needed to remove any components for access, intake, alternator or otherwise. Takes me 20 minutes to do the rear plugs.

You paid one hour for the repair and two hours for the education. 8^)

They do. Subtract roughly 30% from the Mitchell time to figure out the factory (warranty) time, if not a warranty repair, most dealerships use Mitchell or Chiltons labor guides.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

They were not all that unreasonable. Believe they came from Pep Boys since they are closest to my house. They were "lifetime" wires and matched the originals exactly in length, diameter, and end connectors. They came with the anti seize conductive lubricant to apply. As I recall they were in the $30 price range... I would have replaced them at about 6 years/100K miles anyway...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I did the 96 T&C 3.8L from the top. Removed the alternator. It was all done by feel and took quite a long time. I was able to use the torque wrench on all but one plug.

Someone mentioned double platinum plugs. By the time I changed the original equipment plugs, they had about 120K on them. Some of the gaps were around .090". Car ran great. I put standard platinum plugs back in. I expect they will do as well.

Don't forget the anti-seize!!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza