97 Caravan Exhaust Noise

I have a 97 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 litre engine. I recently had some stalling and re-starting problems that were traced to the PCM controller, which was eventually replaced.

Also, within the past six months, the muffler and resonator were replaced at a country garage that used after-market parts.

Now, when I first start the vehicle it runs like a charm but after warming up it sometimes sounds like there is a huge hole in the exhaust. Sounds good at idle but under load it becomes loud. When the exhaust noise starts, the engine appears to be running fine with no hesitation, coughing or stalling. If I make a short stop (to get gas, for example) it often sounds just fine after getting on the road again.

As part of the diagnosing of the PCM problem, the compression was checked and found to be ok.

When it is idling it seems fine and therefore hard to check for exhaust leaks but from what I could tell there weren't any obvious holes or any leaks around the joints. The emissions were checked and were excellent.

Before I declare the muffler and resonator to be a piece of junk, are there any other thoughts that anyone has. Are there any sensors for example that might cause this?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Reply to
Ed

Well yea, why not take it back to the person that installed the exhaust?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi,

I did that, and the damn thing ran just fine. That's when we decided to do the emissions test. I'll have to drive around until it acts up and then hope that it does it when I get to his shop.

Thanks.

Ed news:Ujlif.139181$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net...

Reply to
Ed

I think your muffler and resonator are junk. But, I use cheap junky aftermarket mufflers in my 68 Torino, it makes the V8 sound like it's cammed and I like the sound. Unfortunately, V6's, even ones that are cammed, always sound terrible, you can't muffle them enough.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks Ted.

I'm thinking you're quite right. Based on the principle "If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck, tastes like a duck, then it's probably a duck", then my squakin' muffler is probably a lousy muffler.

I guess I was hesitating because of the intermittent thing. I've never had an exhaust problem that only happens when its hot or when it feels like it.

Next week, off it comes.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Yup, it was the muffler. Finally had a chance to go down to a local muffler shop today. They put the van up on the hoist and when the mechanic took his fist and thumped on the muffler it sounded like a can of loose parts.

Sooooo, the muffler was replaced and now it sounds great. Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

Ed

Reply to
Ed