97 Dodge Caravan rear vibration

I have a 97 dodge caravan, 3.0L. Once we get up past 30mph, there is noise from the rear tires it sounds like, a vibration really. The vibration is based on speed and not necessarily engine acelleration...meaning that if I go down a hill - but give it no gas - the noise and vibration will increase as the van's speed increases. Any ideas? Have 4 new tires on it too.

Thanks, Terry (reply to snipped-for-privacy@uwalumni.com if you can)

Reply to
Terry Tuschen

Jack up the rear end and see if the wheel wiggles. You might have a bad bearing assembly.

tim

Reply to
Tim Schoell

While the rear is jacked up, set a 1-quart oil can upright close(~1/8 inch) to a tire tread. Slowly spin the tire and see if in certain spots, the tread is closer to can rim than others. Try both tires. If you find these high (low?) spots, it means the tires are out of round. If new, I'd insist the seller replace with tires that are "in round". (Often, they want to true the tires, which amounts to cutting the high/low spots using a lathe-type principle. That removed tread is new rubber you bought and cannot use. However, they will last longer after truing than if ignored. Still, nothing beats a new tire being true to begin with.)**You can spin-balance a wooden box mounted on an axle. But, it won't roll smoothly/quietly going down the road!** HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi