About Caravan tranny problem

I want to buy an used Caravan. But heard that Caravan ever had notorious problems with its transmission, but it's fixed lately. I wonder, from which year, Dodge has solved this issue?

Also somebody mentioned its common problem of belt slip-off in rainy days. Any advice?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John61

Most of the problems were from when the transmission was introduced in

1989, until the mid-1990's. How old of a Caravan are you considering?

By changing the fluid on a regular basis, and by using the correct fluid, many problems can be avoided. For most newer Chrysler tranmissions, ATF+4 is recommended, and is now readily available under the Mopar name, and aftermarket names.

If you do need transmission service, go to a reputable shop, that has the correct scan tool and other diagnostic equipment. Don't settle for a "road test" diagnosis.

For more info, see the transmission section of allpar.com. It has a wealth of information collected for many years.

Remember that front wheel drive automatics don't seem to hold up as their RWD counterparts did. 100,000 - 150,000 miles seems to be about average for a tranmission in a Chrysler Mini-van. Pulling a trailer can also affect the tranmission's life, even when following the owner's manual.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Thanks. The info is most useful.

I'm considering a 3-5 year old Caravan. I heard the transmission problem was still "common" for model years around 2000. That's why I asked.

John

news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...> >> I want to buy an used Caravan. But heard that Caravan ever had notorious

Reply to
John61

We own a '99 T&C minivan with 80K miles and I've changed the fluid and filter twice at about 30K mile intervals. Other than a speed sensor which cost around $25 for the part and 15 minutes to replace, the performance of this transmission has been flawless and it still shifts like new.

This contrasts to our '90 minivan which had the first iteration of the electronic 4-speed transmission which literally self destructed itself at

48K miles and 6 years of age, despite regular preventive maintenance. Although not as durable as the older, larger, and heavier rear drive units, they have improved the reliability considerably over the years. That said, maintenance is still critical to extend the life span. Also, do not buy a used van that was used to tow anything at all, but having the towing package for the trans cooler is a plus.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

We used to own a 1994 Grand Caravan. The tranny went at about 130,000 Kms. We had it rebuild by a shop that had done some work for the previous owner. They screwed it up. We had a 20,000 km, 1 year warranty. At 51 weeks, and 19500 km, it blew AGAIN.

They begrudginly rebuilt it a second time, only THIS TIME they kept the van for 3 weeks! I was pissed, but I insisted that they "get it right" this time. So they insisted on completely stripping it down to discover why the rebuild failed. Then there was a problem with this location of the local chain changing owners.... Eventually they sent the trans to the "head office" location where it was stripped down, diagnosed, and rebuilt.

After that the trans worked very well for about 40,000 kms. At this point the solenoid pack failed and it went into limp mode. But the repair was not very expensive, and I was on the road in about a day. After the new solenoid pack, the trans shifted like spanking new!

Unfortunately, before 190,000 kms, the van was "totalled" by another driver who blew a stop sign.

We now own a 2002 Grand Caravan. The only thing we had to do with the trans was replace the solenoid pack. We purchased this van with about

93,000 kms on it, and the solenoid pack was literally PUKING oil all over the engine compartment. We thought it was the head gasket leaking, but no! it was the solenoid pack!

Again, after the solemoid pack was replaced (warranty!) the trans shifts like spanking new - smooth as silk.

My research prior to purchasing the 2002 indicated that after about

2000 model year, the trans problems have - by-and-large - been corrected.

Where I live, the cost of rebuilding the transmission (about $1500 CDN$ plus tax) is often prohibative for the value of the older vans. Older vans (1990's) seem to be valued between $500 and $5000 depending upon mileage and body condition. If the owner of an older van cannot produce the reciept for a rebuild and the requisite preventive maintenance on the transmission from a reuptable dealer - then walk away.

These older vans usually have LOTS of stuff that goes wrong with them, and it takes $$$$ to fix.

Over the years that I had my 1994, I put just over $10,000 in mantenance into it. It was in near perfect condition, and when it was written off bby the insurance company the $10,000 in maintnance translated into an additional $600 in value. They gave me $3500 for it. Without my receipts, the offer would have been $2900.

So if you are buying an older van, a mechanical inspection is a MUST so you know what you are getting into. And, if the trans has not been rebuilt, this should be reflected in the selling price.

For the 2001 model year and up, the trans should be OK as long as no towing has been done, and mileage is low. But be aware that these vans depreciate very quickly. If you buy a van with more than 80,000 kms on it, and a warranty is offered - TAKE IT!

My warrant cost me $2000 extra, and was for an additional 2 years and

40,000 kms. The van is in the shop (again) this weekend. So far the dealership is into the van for about $3500 in repairs. I have a $100 deductable per invoice, so I have paid about $400! :) :) and I have only had the van for about 6 months. :)

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Good info. Thanks.

Reply to
John61

I had a 92, and at one time, it seemed like everybody I knew had one, because of so many folks I knew having kids at the same time. No bad transmissions in any of them, ever. So I think people talk about the risk of failure all the time, but a lot of them don't fail at all. Just hauled one to the crusher, a 1989, with the original overdrive tranny and 190k miles. It threw a rod. Lack of lubrication.

Also, since nobody has addressed your belt question, they have an idler on them that bends. When the belt slips off that's just telling you to replace the idler. No problem.

Reply to
Joe