caravan tranny question

Bought my 93 Caravan used 5 years ago and have been quite happy with it. Two years ago, while driving along at about 60 mph it popped out of gear. As I slowed down, it suddenly CLUNKED back into gear when I hit

30 mph. At that point it would not shift out of 1st gear unless I turned off the engine (to clear the computer). This solution seems to work sometimes but not always, sometimes I woukd need to restart the van 4 - 8 times before it would shift out of 1st. The problem used to be very intermitant, often going a month between occurances, Now of course it is getting annoying as it occurs almost daily (I've also gotten quite good at restarting on the fly, shfting to neutral, restarting and then shifting back into gear, while maintaining a speed over 30mph). The question remains, were it a physical problem with the tranny, it should have crapped out long ago, I've put on over 60,000 miles since the onset ( I have about 200,000 miles on the van total). The local tranny shops want to rebuild it, for about $1600.00 and the van is just not worth putting that much money into. The codes I get on the scanner cite a solenoid failure and a pressure drop Any suggestions?
Reply to
peter

Find a competant tranny shop! Obviously all they want to do is shot-gun things. Now, it is quite possible that you tranny may need rebuilding in the not too distant future. However, it does NOT sound like that is your existing problem.

If I had to guess, based on my recent experiences, I would say solenoid pack is a possibility - but it could also be your wiring harness as well!!

You need a tranny shop that will take the time to read the codes and diagnose the problem, rather than just rebuild your tranny out of hand. As I said, it MAY need it, but wouldn't you be pissed right off if they rebuilt it to the tune of $1600 and it did not fix the problem? Or worse, they get half way through the rebuild and then tell you "ohh your widget needs to be replaced too! That'll be an additional $600.....".

I live in the lower mainland of BC. If you are in the lawermainland / Fraser Valley area, I can recomend an excellent shop. If not, then look for a shop which is CAA / AAA approved. Also check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to see who NOT to go to!

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Nothing that'll do you any good. If you let off the gas when it shifts it may be able to complete its shifts more quickly, and it detects that. You may be doing that already. That won't help on the solenoid failure, though.

Reply to
Joe