AWD Tires

Damaged one tire on my 05 Chrysler 300 AWD. Must I replace all tires??

Reply to
Hewitt

How old are the tires?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I've heard that once from one person who also had a 4WD vehicle (SUV / Cross-over - not a Chrysler product).

Please tell us what you find out.

This would be another reason why 4WD on a passenger car is nuts - more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Reply to
MoPar Man

If you live in a climate where you aren't exposed to snow, ice, etc., yeah

4WD is just an added expense if your not utilizing the feature. Just don't tell that to the Audi or Subaru crowd.

As the General said how old are the tires? If fairly new(< 10k) you could just replace either the fronts or the rears depending on which tire is bad. If they are old, replace them. Piece of mind and safety are great comforts.

Reply to
FredP

Thanks to all that have responded to my query.

The tires are Continental P225/60R18 BSW Touring with 23K miles. We are exposed to snow here in Pennsylvania. Bob

Reply to
Hewitt

I replaced mine around 30K miles, the Continental's seem to have a very short life expectancy for a radial tire. There is likely to be a lot of wear on yours even though they still have a little life in them, I think you'll have to replace all four.

I replaced mine with Michelin's from Costco.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I do live in a climate where I am exposed to snow (lots of it).

Ever hear of a place called Ontario? (not the one in California).

4wd is bullshit, unless maybe you drive on hilly roads or remote back country that don't get plowed as often as they should.

On flat urban roads, 4wd is bullshit. I've driven my FWD 300m (with dedicated snow tires) and FWD and decent snow tires is all you need to pull you through the snow. And deep snow too.

And by the way, all cars have 4-wheel brakes. A 4wd car with shitty tires ain't gonna help you avoid running into the curb or another car when you're braking.

In the winter, Job-1 is being able to stop without hitting anyone or anything. That's where snow tires come in. Job-2 is being able to start moving and keep moving. With FWD and snow tires, Job-2 is a done deal.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I agree with you on most of your post. The problem is IMO, folks just seem to regard all-season tires as sufficient... which is as you know is not the case in real snow country(I live in northwest Vermont). Real snow tires were in short supply this past winter due to your country's requirement! Going down to Sears all I saw were Quebec plated cars! Thats OK. 8-))

Reply to
FredP

In about 1/2 of Ontario, all season tires will be fine for a typical (and even abnormal) winter.

For the other 1/2, anyone who doesn't have snows (and who has to drive every day) is taking an unreasonable and unwarranted gamble.

This past winter a law came into effect for the entire province of Quebec. All cars had to have snow tires.

This caused (so I've been told) a country-wide shortage as many snow tires in Canada were being diverted to Quebec.

There was even a rash of tires stolen off cars in Ontario.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I agree, 4WD or AWD is just nice to have, but not necessary on FWD cars for safe winter driving on public roads. Good all season tires do a great job for me on my FWD cars and I find the all season tires improving with each new set I get. I live in western Canada and drive up some very steep long hills to ski areas. My two previous FWD cars were a '86 LeBaron GTS followed by a '95 Concorde and I used my Michelin all season tires to about 100 Kkms (60K miles). This year I used a new to me '94 300M with 65 Kkms (40K miles) on the original tires and went up a very steep narrow road to a ski hill in a snow storm with over 20cms of newly fallen snow. The traction control was activating, but never did I feel I'd not make it up the hill.

Generally I feel many with 4WD/AWD go too fast in bad conditions and end up in trouble, off the road or into an incoming vehicle.

Reply to
Josh S

There's no such thing as a '94 300M. What did you mean to type there? :)

Reply to
Bill Putney

THX, of course I meant 2004 300M. The last year of 300Ms, pushed away be the 300 box.

Reply to
Josh S