Grease Question, Part 2

Hi, I am the poster of the original Dumb Gease Question. I wanted to know why I can't fit my 25 year old grease fitting on my

2002 Caravan zirc fittings, because the zirc is smaller than the grease nozzle, and even pushing with a lot of strength, the greases oozes out all over the zirc fitting but does not go inside it. The responses I got were nostalgic, dealing with "I remember when there were grease fittings all over the place". What I want to know is, "is there something special about the zirc fitting in my Caravan". Picture 005, towards the bottom, shows the zirc fitting that I am talking about. Picture 005 also shows another zirc fitting at the top right, that works OK. If I try and grease the bottom zir, the zirc fitting is DEFINITELY smaller than the other zirc fittings on the front end. This is true for left and right sides, these 2 bottom zircs only. Pictures 006 and 008 show my grease gun. If you think I am crazy, I am OK with you telling me so, but these 2 particular zirc fittings are absolutely smaller than my other cars, and from the other Caravan fittings. Is this normal ? Is there a special grease nozzle I need to buy?

newsmail

Hi...

I'm the old guy who desperately tried to grease my brake bleeders, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but...

The bottom "fitting" sure doesn't look like any grease fitting that I've ever seen. Are you *sure* it is? (cleaned up, and viewed from the end, can you see the check ball? )

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Obviously you didn't read my reply. Your vehicle may not have grease fittings!! I wasn't joking when I replied the first time

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Well, yes, I did think you were joking. Thank you sir for replying. These little doo-dads sure look like grease fittings, and they sure are located in a spot that would have you assume that they are grease fittings. The other little zirc fittings sure allow my grease gun to fit onto them and apply grease. If this one is for looks only (meaning it was for a one shot grease infusion at the time of assembly, and never again), then I am really amazed at the engineering staff for putting them there. At first, I just thought that one side was defective, like a little bit smaller. The other side being the same smallness just bewildered me, like "am I supposed to use something special on these fittings".

I am also amazed at the collective >

Reply to
newsmail

I don't see any grease fittings in picture 005. The -thing- in the lower ball joint is either a plug or a snapped off zerk, it certainly doesn't look like it will accept the end of a grease gun. Pity that the shots of the grease fittings weren't as detailed as those of the grease gun...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
newsmail

Once upon a time, seemingly to discourage use of anything other than factory fill grease, zerks were broken off.

Reply to
cavedweller

Reply to
newsmail

fitt> > Thanks. I did not get a great picture in 005 because I have to jack up

Since they have a hex head, can you remove them and install regular fittings? I have never seen anything like those.

What do the tie-rod ends have on them?

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Why do you keep going on and on with this thread about the grease fittings. let me spell it out ok. They do not have grease fittings!!! They have been lubricated for life and then snapped off. Do not try to install grease fittings. This started back on the 1997 mini vans.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks. You did spell it out loud and clear, about the grease fittings being lubricated for life, and not to install grease fittings. I am not sure I would have known this if it wasn't for you, because I had hunted around (Google) for weeks trying to understand why I couldn't grease these fittings. The power of this group is the collective knowledge!

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
Robert Kalita

fitt>>

Reply to
newsmail

Well, it may have started "again" in 1997 but as I tried to indicate in my previous post ("Once upon a time.."....get it?) the lubed-for- life idea with broken off zerks isn't new....it dates back to the

60s.
Reply to
cavedweller

We are talking Chrysler Mini vans here. the mini van wasn't around in the

60's
Reply to
maxpower

The irony.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Was it Tom or Dick that said, "I did not know that."?

Reply to
cavedweller

Neither - it was Johnny.

Bill Putney

I thought it was Johnny that said, "I never kneeeeew that."

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Exzerkly!.....

Reply to
cavedweller

He said, among other things: "Ahhh - I did not *know* that!"

One of my favorites that he did (one time) - he slipped it by the censors - remember he would bring 3 or 4 people from the audience up on stage and they would read from a script to create a play. Johnny, as narrator of the play, introduced a new character "...Mister D. Big Fookendeel..." (read it out loud - you'll get it). After he said the name, he paused and looked right into the camera with a big gleam in his eye, and then continued the sentence.

Bill Putney