Grease question

My 1971 Ford car shop manual recommends polyethylene grease on all hinge/pivot points and striker plates. What is polyethylene grease?

Reply to
goodnigh

a grease with additives for withstanding high pressures... often used in things like compressors.

Title:Lubricant with synergistic extreme pressure additives

Document Type and Number:United States Patent 3933657

Link to this page:

Abstract:A grease may be made having synergistic extreme pressure properties using a major amount of a base oil and a thickener and a minor amount of low density polyethylene and known extreme pressure enhancing additives.

Reply to
Spike

Wonder why it is recommended for something like a hinge. Do you have a modern trade name/brand name for the stuff?

Reply to
goodnigh

Mobil 1 or Amsoil Series 2000 bearing grease.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Ended up buying some spray white Lithium grease as it appears to have the same properties. Works pretty good too. Strange enough, it is the same grease recommended for the bearings and threaded surfaces on my telescopes. Go figure.

Reply to
goodnigh