Is it safe to clean engine on a 1999 T&C?

My 1999 T&C AWD has passed 7 years now and all the stuffs under the hood pretty dirty. Is it safe to clean it? One of my friend constantly going to a place for self cleaning his old Accord and it really look nice. He said that he never had any problem after cleaning but one time he saw a guy driving US made car stopped running after cleaning and I also heard a local Jiffy Lube tech said his friend's BMW got water leaks into two of the six spark plugs...

Is it worth to do that, safe or not?

Reply to
harry

Directly spraying water on the ignition and electrical system of a vehicle is a crapshoot in my book. Underhood electrical in modern vehicles is made to be waterproof, but connectors and seals get old and can leak.

I've had bad experiences both times I've tried doing this..

However, I have not had problems cleaning sections of the engine compartment where I haven't sprayed water directly on the engine. And I haven't had problems cleaning the undercarriage.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If you do it right, no problem. Just did it with my 1999 T&C AWD last week:

  1. spray cleaner solvent on COLD engine and wait some minutes
  2. START the engine (should never try with a turned off!)
  3. use high-pressure cleaner to wash the detergent off - do not get too close - 50 cm will do fine with "normal" power cleaner
  4. let the engine run til engine is COMPLETELY dry
  5. let engine cool down again
  6. use a engine sealing spray to prevent rust and "re-staining". And it is easier to clean it again, if necessary.

Some use WD40 for this as well, but I prefer real sealing spray as it will not give you any grease on your fingers and makes all plastics "brand new".

Worth & safe: you decide. Engine looks "brand new" if done correctly.

Did it with all my cars, never problems - which does not mean that one could not get severe electronic damages when doing it wrong.

Sven

Reply to
Sven

You were doing pretty well until you got to the pressure washer recommendation. That is a VERY bad idea. The water from a garden home is all of the pressure you need, and even then be very careful where you spray it. Avoid the alternator, places where hoses enter the engine (PCV valve area, etc.), and electrical connectors.

It is better to use a brush and a little elbow grease than to take a pressure washer to an engine, even at half a meter distance, maybe even especially at half a meter distance. At that range, you will have a fairly broad pattern and very little control over what you spray.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

In any case it is a good idea to avoid to come too close to electrics and other connections. But in the todays engine compartments it is too tight to reach everything with brush and "normal" water - at least without going mad or disassembly. For sure you take some risk - but this as well with normal pressure.

Please NEVER try to hand wash a running engine as some parts might just chop your finger or hand off or at least cause bad smell of burnt meat if you are too close. The engine fan starts without prewarning and is not in all cases on a visco which will prevent serious injuries...

From my side I have never seen any garage which works with low pressure for engine wash.

Sven

Reply to
Sven