keyless entry installation

I have a 1998 Plymouth Breeze, base model with no power locks, and the trunk release is the latch on the floor beside the driver's seat. Is there any way to add a keyless entry system &/or a remote starter system to this vehicle?

Reply to
Jones

I have a 1998 Plymouth Breeze, base model with no power locks, and the trunk release is the latch on the floor beside the driver's seat. Is there any way to add a keyless entry system &/or a remote starter system to this vehicle?

Reply to
Jones

You need power locks to have keyless entry. A retrofit kit may be available. If you have an automatic transmission, you can get a remote starter.

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Why do you need an automatic transmission to get a remote starter? My daughter's car, with 5-speed manual, has an aftermarket remote start system.

Reply to
Sid Wood

Usually because of the clutch/starter interlock which will only allow the starter to engage when the clutch is depressed.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I'm human and this is usenet. I could be wrong and even if I'm not, someone will make up ''facts'' to prove me otherwise. ;-) But every remote start system I've seen says an automatic transmission is needed. Many even go further to say that fuel injection is required as well.

Imagine having remote start on a vehicle with a manual transmission...and it was parked in gear. It either won't attempt start due to a neutral safety switch, it will attempt to start and screw up the starter and/or clutch, or it will start and take off without a driver.

How is this remote starter installed on your daughter's car? How old is the car? Will it start if the trans is left in gear? Does the vehicle start without the clutch being depressed? Isn't it common that there is an interlock so a vehicle won't start without the clutch being depressed?

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Reply to
mic canic

i have been installingh remote starts for the better part of 15 years and i have done 2 vehicles with a manual shift trans and both were also tied into the parking brake so if the brake was off they would not start and i also asked both customers to sign a waiver of liability regarding the fact the vehicle could start in gear and cause personal harm even death to others and property damage both people i knew and would npot do it for anyone else so it can be done but

99.9 of the > I'm human and this is usenet. I could be wrong and even if I'm not, someone
Reply to
mic canic

A lot of manual remote starters have a procedure to ensure that you leave it in gear. It would be something like: Put car in neutral, hit a button and remove key, engine keeps running. Get out of the car, lock the door / arm alarm via remote. This will lock the doors and shut the engine off. This way you are outside away from the car before the doors lock, with the engine running, so it must be in neutral. You could probably install a sensor to determine if it is in Neutral as well.

Reply to
Bill 2

Reply to
Mike Behnke

You'd notice the car start to creep when you take your foot of the brake. Unless it was a perfectly flat area. But setting the p-brake should be habit, especially in a manual. But I'm sure it would be possible to require the parking brake to be set.

Reply to
Bill 2

It's a lot easier to imagine remote starting a manual transmission car than a car with a carburetor. As you mentioned, remote starting a manual transmission car would absolute guarantee you'd be starting it with the clutch out, clutch start switch bypassed (if applicable). This is pretty much dangerous as a cocked pistol, but the car could be started. So it depends on what you mean by "needed". On an automatic car, you get the starter interlocked to tranny "park" position for free. On a manual car, you have to defeat interlocks, and then your car is going to drive off on its own. Maybe not the first day, but some day. There is no way that any of us would be consistent enough to leave it out of gear every day forever.

Reply to
Joe