Seat change for Town & Country?

Hey, all, trying to help out my folks here. They're 64/65 and spend a LOT of time in their T&C, think it's a 2001. They just put over 500 miles on it this week going to their grandkid's sporting events. (Central Nebraska - is an hour's drive away, at least!) The thing is quickly approaching 100K miles, and they think it's time for something else.

They really like the one they have, particularly the seats. They've looked at new ones, but it seems the big thing nowadays is seats that fold away. They couldn't care less about that, they just want seats that are comfortable! My Dad has tried them, and says it's a night-and-day difference, not comfy at all.

I heard a story today of a dealer who said there was no difference, but then admitted under pressure that a different company was making the seats, and doing it cheaper to counteract the expense of the fold-away thing.

  1. Any "insiders" out there know anything about the seats? Did they really change manufacturers?

  1. Any way to get "old style" seats, preferably to the 2001?

  2. Any recommendations, strictly looking for similar vehicles with comfy seats?

Thanks, all!

Mike O-

Reply to
mdmarshall

Don't know much about the seats, but I know a lot of folks that have gotten good service out of their Chrysler vans well in excess of 100K miles.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I believe low end models in 2004 did not have the fold away seats so you might check out left overs on the lot. Note that the cushioning is thinner but higher quality. Although the foam may initially feel hard it might actually prove more comfortable on a longer trip. Try sitting in it for several minutes before giving up. It is similar to the expensive pillows sold at Brookstone. Body heat softens it so you have to sit on it for a while to judge it. We like the pillows.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
jdoe

Well, like I said, I it's an '01, definitely not newer. Don't know if 01 differs from 04 or not.

Another dealer whom my Dad trusts said flat out they weren't as good. Mike O-

Reply to
mdmarshall

I meant low end models in 2005.

Reply to
Art

I recently purchased a 2005 T&C, SWB with Quad Seats (bucket), which are comfortable and easily removed.

Reply to
Lin

Ever hear the thing about an 'expert' being little more than the combination of an ex- (has been) and a -spurt (a drip under pressure)?

I *think* Magna makes these in SW Ontario. If I'm right about that, they've been the same supplier for awhile now.

Sure, visit any late-model scrap yard.

No minivan will be as inexpensive to own as the one they already have.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

That dealer really has some great salesmanship there! Will he make more money selling used, rather than new, vehicles?

Reply to
RPhillips47

Reply to
jdoe

Last time I heard that saying was from an old acquaintance of mine that used to play running back for the Baltimore Colts, Howard Stevens.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The short wheelbase Town & Country, and the long wheelbase Town & Country Signature Series do not have the Stow 'n Go seating. The SWB model still has the middle bench seat. My wife and I have been looking at replacing our '95 Voyager SE, and since she wants an SWB model with a middle bench seat and a V6, we're looking at the base model Town & Country. Why the SWB Caravan can only be had with the 2.4L is beyond me.

It's too bad that the colors are so rotten this year. If Chrysler had a decent shade of green (a forest green, or maybe even a jade green -- not that putrid "Magnesium Pearl Coat"), we would have a 2 ton Christmas present on the way!

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

The drivers seat does not fold away, so I don't see why they would be any different than the seats from the 2001 model.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I can't imagine making a radical change to all the other seats, including changing the manufacturer, but still leaving one seat the same.

Mike O-

Reply to
mdmarshall