C5 SatNav

My c5 inbuilt SatNav has an intermittent fault and keeps loosing the satellites. Before I start to take anything apart, does anyone know if the aerial cable from the back of the roof has a connector that may have come
apart, say somewhere near the A-post, or is it one cable. I have checked the roof aerial connector and back of the head unit and the satnav cable is connected OK.
Gordonoga Woodford Green, UK
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

There should be a map somewhere online showing all the cable connections. I have a 99 Xantia and under the drivers seat there`s a cable that disconnects now and then. This if for the warning lights on the dashboard so this cable has taken a few years from my life. When all the lights go on....puh...
Frank

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Before you start pulling anything apart be aware that there are all sorts of reasons that a GPS receiver will lose lock on the satellites, and that there may not be anything the matter with it. The signal from the satellites is very weak, almost anything solid will stop it.
You need a clear view of the sky to get a lock. If, for example, you spend a lot of time driving in towns or hilly areas tall buildings or hills can interfere with the signal, blocking it out and causing multipath reflections which can interfere with accuracy.
http://www.gpsinformation.net/main/slowlock.htm
In towns with tall buildings is, of course, just when you need the GPS most, and where it is likely to be least reliable!
None of this means that you haven't got a duff unit of course!
Regards,
--
Neil Pugh

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Even trees. My GPS almost always loses the satellites along some stretches of road in open country but lined with trees. But I have no GPS aerial built-in to the car, this is a portable Garmin Quest that relies on 'seeing the sky' through the windscreen.
[...]
--
-- Whiskers

Site Timeline