thermostat

Does anyone know what the temperature rating of the thermostat that is fitted to a 1900 td xantia is? My temerature guage sits at 80 degrees when warmed up ad the heater is just
bearly hot. I have read that the stat should begin to open at 88 degrees c and be fully open at 99 degrees c, I havent had the car long and was wondering if maybe the wrong (too low) stat has been fitted?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
saying:

It's probably far more likely that the actual numeric temp on the gauge can't be trusted one tiny bit...
It's also quite likely that the heater matrix is a bit silted up. Still, that's a damn sight better than if it starts to leak on a Xant... That's Not A Pleasant Job.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Neill wrote:

Wot Adrian says. A quick scan of a Pug manual (ok not for that engine) would suggest that starting to open at 88 is right. You might try flushing out the heater matrix. I've done this on a Pug 106 using a garden hose clamped to a bit of copper pipe jubilee clipped to the heater matrix feed pipe. A semi solid lump of rust shot out of the other end like a turd after a curry the night before. Hey presto hot heater.
--
Malc
Oh, but the rain wasn't made of water
malc wrote: