xantia remote locking failure ...

Evening All,
The remote control for my Xant (99 Hdi Estate) has given up . I tried the battery from the (vastly overpriced) spare remote fob thing but still no
joy.
Do any of you know the usual failure mode for these things? Will it be the car or the fob ? And if its th ecar - which bit!?
Yours hopefully
Steve
Can't help I'm afraid but can sympathise. Got the same problem on my Xantia HDI (2000 on an X); it unlocks on the remote but won't lock without using the key. Hope someone comes up with a (cheap) solution.
--
Brian Kelly
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Mindwipe wrote:

no lights , no flashes, no clicking , no anything ... I guess either the fob has died, or the receiver in the car has died, or the wiring/system betwixt the receiver and the locks (and lights!) has died ??? dunno - but it's a real pain ...
any help really very much appreciated

What light would that be ?
The car indicator lights flash when unlocking (which works normally) nothing flashes when attempting to lock (which doesn't work)
--
Brian Kelly
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Brian Kelly wrote:

IIRC, the IR plips (>97) have a red LED to let you know you've pressed the button?. The RF plips don't (98>)
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually

try the wharf at collingham for pike have had a few 20 pounders out of there on lures (december to february) and a few up to 10 pound during the summer last year also had perch to max 3 pound and odd chubb to 3 pound

Thanks for the tip, not fished Collingham since I was a teenager .
--
Brian Kelly
Leeds, West Yorkshire
drd wrote:

It's not unknown for the fobs to suffer from dry joints. If you're handy with a (small) soldering iron, I'd pop the circuit board out and look for iffy connections.
As well as dry joints, I had the 'lock' micro switch detach itself from the PCB. When you pressed the button, the whole switch moved, so didn't operate. This was on a '98 Xant, the fob is on it's original battery!
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually
Alan Vann wrote:

many thanks - I'll have a look ...
in the meantime of course I can just try the spare fob (doh!) to see if its the car or the fob ...
It's a new fob and needs to be "programmed" ... I know I read the procedure for doing it in the manual somewhere but I'm bu99ered if I can find it now - any ideas?

check the switch first then thats why i asked about the lights as previously mentioned the soldered joint can come loose

mines a 99 model so no lights ..
drd wrote:

Have a search on <http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/
Something in the back of the mind says "key in the ignition, turn to accessory position and press the lock button" BICBW
Alan
--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually
I saved this some time ago in case I needed it "XANTIA (IR version) 1. Turn the Ignition switch to accessory position using the key, without the remote plip attached. (I use the 'emergency key', but if you haven't got that you have to dismantle the fob) 2. Hold the Plip key close to the central locking receiver mounted in the roof console. 3. Press the large plip button, then the small plip button on the remote. 4. Repeat for second Plip key if required. 5. Turn ignition OFF. 6. After 5 seconds, Plip should now operate."
dont know if iut works though. Neil