Remote locking?

I've a 94 100 Avant.

Is there any way of telling whether it ever originally had remote locking and the plib's been lost, or whether it was never fitted in the first place?

Thanks.

Reply to
Guy King

Skipweasel, It may have had remote locking - you should check the list of features for the car on Audiworld's model archive. I have a set of doors from a 1991

200q20v and there's something in the driver's door connected to the power lock wiring harness that looks suspiciously like a remote unit. No idea of how you would get a new programmed remote for less than $$$+. BTW, my 1987 5ktq did not have remote unlock/lock, but I installed one I bought at (shudder) Wal-Mart and it has worked for the past year like a charm - it cost all of around $20 (canadian) and was a decent weekend project. It was made by Bulldog Security and is a simple splice-in, provided that you could power unlock and lock from the passenger side door as well as the driver's door (from mid-1980's Audis on). Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - remote unlock in, now working on a relayed eurolight setup.....quit last night at 3:30am...yawn 1980 Audi 5k - no remote, no need (summer only) 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - voice activated remote only when someone is sitting in the car (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

The message from "Steve Sears" contains these words:

On mine the first turn of the driver's door lock opens just the driver's door - a second twist opens all the other doors and boot. How does an aftermarket remote manage that?

Reply to
Guy King

Skipweasel, That might be a problem - you'd probably have it set up that it either locks or unlocks all power locks - my wife's Honka CRV has a remote that on the first unlock press, it unlocks the driver's door, the second press releases the locks on all doors and the trunk. I find that most of the time with that car I'm unlocking everything anyway. I guess it boils down to $ - if your car came with a remote, you'll have to pay dearly for a new one at the dealer, or get a used one from eBay and pay to have it recoded to your car. The big bonus with either of those options is that you don't need to cut and splice. The aftermarket unit I got splices into 2 or 4 (memory like seive, ugh) wires of the door lock system, and with a connection to the battery, and to ground, the unit is in. As the system in my car is pneumatic, the control unit has to hold it's signal to the system for enough time to trick the pump into actuating the servos in the doors. The aftermarket unit I got has a program function where it will either signal for 1 or 5 seconds (electrical or pneumatic locking systems). It's possible that the system in your car does more than unlock the doors - like actuating a vehicle immobilizer - and I doubt that a simple aftermarket unit could handle that. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) "Guy King" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...
Reply to
Steve Sears

According to AudiWorld, only the CS came with remote activation.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I guess if the option was available, chances are there'll be a connector in the driver's door for the receiver. I'd contact a reputable Audi recycler - like Chris Semple of Force 5 - and ask if he has the receiver and keychain sender - but first, verify that the control unit plug is there on your car (ask Chris, refer to a Bentley Manual or look at a copy of the "Family Album"). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

UK Bentley CD shows remote locking pump under rear seat next to battery packed in grey foam - same as my car a 96 S6, tho Canadian spec. So, this may have LED remote - check to see if you have a bubble looking thingy on outside of B pillar. Or may have RF remote which is a separate little widget to the key - no bubble thingy on B pillar.

Tony

96 S6

Reply to
Tony Curran

The message from "Tony Curran" contains these words:

Neither, sadly. It'll cost over £100 to upgrade and I just CBA.

Reply to
Guy King

Check this link out.

Seems to suggest that this kit can give a "double pulse" to get around this problem. (although I have to admit that it isn't well advertised on this page - might be an idea to ring them to check)

It's something I've been looking into for a while to fit to my car - I have the same thing as you - have to unlock the car with two twists of the key to activate the C/L.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock