Ford Scorpio - is this the right NG?

Hi, I own a Scorpio 2.9 V6 24V Ghia Cosworth Executive. Is this the right NG or is there a more specific one? Thanks, Maria

Reply to
Maria

Maria ( snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

uk.rec.cars.misc or uk.rec.cars.maintenance?

Reply to
Adrian

Tks, will check them out! Maria

Reply to
Maria

I was going to suggest uk.rec.cars.sheds or uk.rec.cars.daghenam-dustbins, but I thought that this might be a little unkind...

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yeah, Scorpios are cult cars now. You think they're banger money? One just sold, a /saloon/, 2.3, 210,000 miles - £2,050 on eBay. '98 R, like our estate.

Like to see someone get £2,000 for a 200,000 mile R-plated Mondeo saloon. Or 940. Or pretty much any 'non-prestige' big saloon.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I still wouldn't touch em with a bargepole. Hate the bloody things

Alex

Reply to
Alex

and theres me complaining i paid £500 for a 58k N reg 2.0 Mondeo SI ??

Reply to
Tealc

Scorpio is to cars as XP home is software :-)

Ever noticed nearly all Scorpio estates are owned by undertakers :-(

Reply to
awm

That's uncalled for. Scorpios work.

Heh. My gf's car was previously owned by a Funeral Home.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I'm quite tempted to have a play with distributerless electronic ignition on my Triumph, using the EDIS module from a V6 Scorpio (or other 90s Ford V6) among other bits and bobs. Anyone got a spare EDIS 6?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I was actually considering a Scorpio at one stage when looking for something big and hefty for boat-towing duties - for pretty much the same reasons as big F*rds have always been considered for that kind of role:

  1. Big, comfy
  2. Big engine in the top-end variety (the 4-cyl versions are to be ignored)
  3. Likely to be cheap
  4. Disposable. It'll rust in the end, but who cares. After all. it's only a F*rd.

I see the Scorpio as the last of a line going back through Granada through Zodiac to Pilot - the big, disposable, HoS but still rather endearing F*rd.

Big Fords are more or less the definitive sh*te old car, and none the worse for it. Scorpios will undoubtedly be considered classics one day because there'll be so few left - just like Granadas and Zodiacs are now.

Most of the undertakers around here seem to be using Ovlovs now. There may be a moral in that.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Saw a stretched Ovlov (940 ?) the other day - funeral procession heading along the A4. Bizarre creation.

Was tempted by a Scorpio not so long back, but Top Gear (I think) did a survey of cost of ownership and they came top (something like £650 a year on average) for cost of repairs and servicing. Put me off rather.

Reply to
Mark W

If you're ever in that position again:

True. Incredibly comfy actually.

I'd recommend the 2.3 16v. It's a fantastic engine, smooth, 145bhp. I still prefer the idea of the 2.9 12v, especially for towing, but the 2.3 is seemingly even more reliable and cheaper to run.

But not as cheap as you'd think...

True. And they do rust, sadly.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

NOt for a long, long time I hope - bought a phase 1 Rangie (3.9, with a gas conversion). That should do me for a few years.

Not keen on the idea of a 16v/4-cyl engine for boat-hauling. A 2.9 12V was the one that I was looking for. Low-rev grunt is what I'd be wanting.

True... I was suprised by the price of the ones I saw (though not nearly as suprised as I was by how /few/ there were for sale..)

Yep.

There's a guy locally who has a black, late-model (the dead-cod variety) 2.9 saloon. I'd not say no to that - even its ugliness is quite appealing, in a perverse sort of way.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

awm ( snipped-for-privacy@village.nowhere..local) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not just estates.

Are there *any* normal-length fish-face Scorps left?

Reply to
Adrian

How many were there in the first place? They seem to have disappeared very quickly

My Brother-in-law owned one from new - a 2.91 estate. He liked it as a car to drive, but it went back to the dealers on many occasions to have something fixed under the guarantee. He sold it just before the guarantee ran out, having worked out that if he had paid for his own repairs, it would have overshot his budget by a long way.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Rather a nice black 2.9 12V regularly parked by a garage in the town here. There's a silver-grey 2.3 16V I see regularly as well - but that's about the lot.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

A lot to do with the massive length of the load bay, at least Volvo estates tend to sell to a wider market,

Reply to
Ernest Bilko