hello

I'm a bit new to this, and I'm a girl... but....are there any REAL Bentley Boys out there who get up at 5am or earlier for rallies, fill the house with strange engine parts, grin from ear to ear when they discuss the building of their Pride and Joy, and actually drive the cars with the feeling of the wind in their hair, watering eyes and that wonderful feeling of being Out There. The Car, the Road. and the Freedom.....

Reply to
bentleybonnett

I do that, but not in a Bentley.

Reply to
Conor

Hmmm, depends what you mean by real. Cricklewood? No chance. Derby? One day. Crewe? Yup, OK so far.

Hmmm again. fsvo "boy"

bit early, but nearly passed on that one

Full marks there

where to where?

I'll bore for England on that one

A Bentley, even the most ragged Derby, that puts the wind through your hair (unless you count a sunroof or leaking windscreen rubbers) seems to start around 40k nowadays. I don't suppose a Midget (MG, not me) counts? Memo to self: get on with that MG TC that's "waiting attention".

I fear that, in this group, you're more likely to get a "hello" from people driving chavved-up 80s wannabee classics - with honourable exceptions, of course.

But welcome, anyway.

Reply to
Autolycus

The message from "bentleybonnett" contains these words:

When I was young I was a great fan of vintage Bentleys but I was several years too young to find an affordable one. I got perhaps within 4 years of a real vintage Bentley and almost (with 2 others) bought a 1935 Park Ward 3.5 for (IIRC) £90 (the owner wanted £120 but we only had £90) which was a lot of money in 1963.

Recently (ie within the last year or so I) was heading down to South Wales in the rain in my modern heap and coming the other way was an open vintage Bentley and the driver had the most indecent grin despite the drizzle. I do have a classic car but unfortunately it hasn't turned a wheel in years and I suspect that I am too old to survive more than a minimal amount of open top motoring.

Reply to
Roger

Oh come. No-one's that old - are they?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

If you have strange desire to have the wind in your hair inside the car, may I suggest any Landrover manufactured before 1984 as being the ideal candidate at a fraction of the cost of a Bentley. They're also convertible, provided you have a spanner handy.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thirsty, slow, surprisingly little luggage space, and hopeless for towing - and Land Rovers are even worse: they add crude, noisy, and uncomfortable to the list. Been there, done that, hated the wretched objects.

Awkward when it rains unexpectedly, though: istr the hard top doesn't stow very well.

Until I chance on a 4 1/4 Gurney Nutting Owen Sedanca Bentley going for a song, I'll stay with the Park Ward 20/25 and satisfying my "strange desires" (how did you find out?) by opening the sunroof and the windscreen.

Reply to
Autolycus

:-)

Reminds me of the one I saw today outside Decathon - the sunstrip read "If it's not leaking, there's no oil left in it!"

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Most hope a car will have springs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "R.N. Robinson" contains these words:

Perhaps it's just me but I used to find the buffeting round the back of the head wearing when I was in my prime and these days usually get backache just sitting in the driving seat for any length of time.

Reply to
Roger

They do have springs, it's just they ride a lot better with 1/2ton of coal/wood/stone/sand etc in the back.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Perhaps Sir needs to change his car...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

True. Reducing the already miserable performance to near zero. And, if it's possible, making the steering even vaguer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's nothing vague about the steering on a Series Landrover if you ensure that the steering box isn't worn and replace the track rod ends. It's only ones that have had no new oil (or indeed any oil) in thier steering boxes for 20 years and still have 6 original 40yr old track rod ends that steer like ocan liners.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

If I could afford a Bentley, I could afford someone to get up at 5am for me.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And of course the steering relay box, which you can't even extract because it's rusted solid into the chassis crossmember.

For extra points, what's the Official Landrover Dismantling Tool for the insides of a steering relay?

(it's a sock. You tie it over the box before removing the end, so as to catch the spring from the inside)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Back in circa 1970 I ran a battered old 1962 2A that had been a commercial vehicle up to my purchase. (I got a refund on the commercial rate tax disk). I can confirm it was far more car like with half a ton of coal on board but I didn't find the steering the least bit vague. I managed to persuade myself that its performance and road holding was what one might have expected from a 1920 sports car. With a top speed of a little over 60 mph and acceleration to match overtaking was rather difficult but not impossible. :-)

Reply to
Roger

The message from "R.N. Robinson" contains these words:

I have a good car but a bad back. I frequently suffer from lumbago but the car induced back pain is higher but less than it was in my previous car. When I am out walking wearing a rucksack precipitates the same sort of pain so driving home after a hill walking trip is a double whammy.

Reply to
Roger

You mean 99% of them, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I remember hair. Vaguely...

The nearest I got was owning the poor man's Bentley, the Rover P5. And I worked with a man who had a Lagonda...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren