Price guide...

I'm considering buying a 1972 Austin 1300 which is apparently in good shape rot wise, but would probably benefit from a blowover as the paint is a bit faded in places.

Assuming its as solid as it would seem and drives ok, given it has only a months MOT left, what sort of ballpark figure I should be considering making as a reasonable offer for it?

TIA

Reply to
JackH

Not a lot. Ebay will give you an indication of prices.

Reply to
Conor

I would check it *very* carefully as they rot for England, and it's 35 years old.

Well the PC guide gives 1400,700 and 150 for condition 1,2 and 3. So even a good one is only worth pocket money, and a decent respray will cost more than a condition 1 car. So it would depend on other things - trim and mechanical condition as you'd have very little leeway on what you could spend without it being wasted over buying a decent one in the first place.

They're nice little cars though - my niece has two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My dad had one, as did my aunt and my grandparents.

All spoke highly of them, but aye... well aware of the rot issues.

The chap has given me a ballpark of £600, and I was thinking of offering £450 if it's as rot free as he says it is.

Internally it looks very tidy, and I can get it blown over for under £200.

He also says he uses it as a daily driver at present.

Reply to
JackH

Would seem a shame to ruin a basically sound but old finish with a tatty respray.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was thinking that... A £200 blowover isn't going to be exactly wonderful, unless it's utterly "mate's rates".

Reply to
Adrian

I've seen the work of the guy concerned, and he's done a nice job of a mates CRX.

So long as it's all rubbed down, prepped and masked nicely, I don't see why having it blown over would result in a 'tatty respray'.

For one thing if I do get it, it won't be something rushed over night.

Anyway... possibly going to view it tomorrow, so assuming its as solid and mechanically good as the seller has suggested, is £450 a fair price to offer?

Reply to
JackH

Which it is.

Else aye, I'd not be considering it.

Reply to
JackH

And a mate who nicks the paint?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

200 quid wouldn't cover the cost of decent materials.

It certainly seems within the guide prices - but only you will see the car and can decide. At the end of the day it's a hobby and people spend far more than that with sometimes nothing to show afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

An ADO16 isn't very big. £150 of paint should be fine. £45 of the other £50 should stretch to thinners, prep materials and masking tape. That leaves a fiver to buy the mate a couple of pints.

Reply to
Adrian

Deliver it to a scrap yard and they'll pay you around £45

Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore