Considering buying '95 STS

I have an opportunity to get a 1995 Seville next week in a private sale. I would appreciate some advice. It currently has 150k miles. How many miles is "a lot" on one of these? Is it coming due for any major services? (assuming that it has been well maintained so far) Are there any particular faults (trends with this model) that I should look for before buying? All the user reviews that I read about the STS were very positive. Any advice?

Thanks, Homer

Reply to
Homer

I did find this:

helps a lot, but I am still curious if 150k miles is high miles or justthe beginning of the cars useful life. Thanks, Homer

Reply to
Homer
2004 - 1995 = 9 years 9 years x 12,000 = 108,000

Some books say 15,000 per year is "normal" but on a Cadillac, 12,000 is more normal unless it was used as a commuter or salesman's car.

The 1995 has one of the first edition Northstar engines. Be sure and have a competent mechanic who is knowledgeable about the Northstar to check it out. They leak out and they do burn oil in normal usage, some as high as 1 quart per 500 miles, some about 1000 miles.

Cadillacs are good road cars and comfortable to ride in. Gas mileage is good unless you have a heavy foot on takeoff around town. On the road I get 24 to 26 miles per gallon at 65-70.

I have owned 3 Cadillacs over the years, a 1987 Couple deVille, 1992 Sedan DeVille and presently a 1994 Sedan DeVill with the 4.9 engine, not the Northstar. It has 127,000 on it and still doesn't burn oil between changes.

How much are they asking for it?

Hope this helps..

Reply to
Bob D.

Thanks Bob D.

I'm surprised to hear about the oil consumption. That would worry me if I hadn't heard it was normal. They're asking only $2000, but it needs a little body work - dent and replace a light cluster. The estimate is $500, so I figure for $2500 I'll be doing pretty well.

~Homer

-Almost done with my Ford.

Reply to
Homer