Torque Wrenches ..hmm.

My better half has finally got with the programme and has agreed to buy me a torque wrench for christmas - woohoo! (who needs to wear boxers or socks anyways)

I have managed to break the few I have ever owned, so I'm going to trawl ebay and see if I can find a very good quality one.

I need it to go from 11 to 217 NM (the SD1 mob will recognise those values), not sure what the MGB will need. I have never liked the micrometer type sleeve, I find them hard to judge accurately - once I had one with a fish eye lense like a radio tuner which I liked, and I prefer the click over the slip type.

So what would you all recommend and why ? Any particular make?

Reply to
Liam Healy

Liam Healy ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Congratulations...

eBay. "Very good quality"...

Look, she's buying, right?

There Can Be Only One URL You Need Visit.

Adrian

Norbar. Had a pair for many years and they've been great. The middle sized one will do near everything on an SDI, 20 - 120 ft.lb. The smaller one I also have starts at 10 ft.lb. Don't understand this nM nonsense. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, given that good quality torque wrenches can and should be recalibrated periodically, what's wrong with buying a good brand used example at the right price and getting it fettled?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Seconded. I bought a Norbar for my first Imp. Never wished for anything better.

Likewise don't understand NM. Didn't Newton invent gravity?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

No, he discovered it, not invented it, which is why a Newton is a unit of Weight, whereas pound, kilo etc etc are a unit of mass. If you go into space, you still have a mass of 80kg, but will have a weight of

0Newtons.

Put simply, a Newton is a unit of force, it is the force required to give a mass of 1kg an accelleration of 1metre/second/second. Thus as the earths gravititational field gives an accelleration of (very) approximatly 10m/s/s, 1kg = 10Newtons.

A Newton Metre is simply a force of 1 newton at a distance of 1 metre from the pivot, as opposed to lbf.ft (correctly known as Pound Force Foot, not Foot-pounds) which is 1lb of force at a distance of 1 foot from the pivot

1Nm = 0.738lbft 1lbft = 1.36Nm

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Still, being a classics group, I'd make sure the wrench is marked with both, since most classics will be quoted in lb.ft.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alex realised it was Tue, 29 Nov 2005

19:36:25 +0000 and decided it was time to write:

And the SnapOn ones cost ten times what they're worth.

Good stuff, but waaaaay overpriced.

Reply to
Yippee

Just to confuse matters, companies like SnapOn make torque wrenches in Nm, KgM and lbf.ft

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The message from Alex contains these words:

No doubt you know your onions but those unfamiliar with the fps system might conclude from the above that a foot-pound aka ft-lb (a measure of work done) does not exist.

Reply to
Roger

Work done would be measured in ft lb-force/minute, not pound-force feet.

Ironically, it doesn't make a difference:

1Nm = 0.738 lbf.ft (torque) 1Watt = 0.738 ft lbf/minute (power)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Whoops, that should be

1 Watt = 0.738 ft lbf/second (power)

As 1 Watt is 1 Joule in 1 Second which is 1 Newton through 1 Metre in

1 Second

Alex

Reply to
Alex

My choice of words was very much tongue in cheek, but I forgot the smiley :-)

Conversions kept for future reference. Thanks Alex.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

The message from Alex contains these words:

Seems I was wrong. You do think the foot-pound is a bogus unit.

FWIW work done is force times distance (energy expended). Including time gives the rate of doing work.

Reply to
Roger

For the sake of balance it should always be made clear that gravitation is only a theory.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

There is no gravity. The Earch sucks.

Geoff MacK

"Which Tyler led the Pedants Revolt".

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

There are those who believe it's Intelligent Falling....

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

After learning the cgs system at school and having to convert to fpm at technical college I am afraid I gave up when confronted with knm. But I always thought that Torque was measured in lbs.ft to distinguish it from any other old Force which is ft.lbs.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I've used a Britool torque wrench for as long as I can remember. It's extremely robust. I like the Norbar ones but I don't think I'd like to give them the scaffold pole treatment!

Reply to
Richard Porter

Britool's recalibration prices !

If you have (or can arrange) a dead-weight tester, then it's practical to re-calibrate a Snap-on torque wrench yourself. With a Britool though, forget it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley