My car has got...

nothing wrong with it :-(

It went to the garage and it cost me £61.10 for them to say that there's nothing wrong with it.

They didn't hear the roar from my exhaust, maybe because they didn't get it warm enough or maybe it doesn't happen all of the time. It takes around 5-6 miles for it to happen. When it's warm enough it sounds like a nova when I put my foot down :-). It's not as loud as some, but it's starting to get a bit too noisey now.

They seemed to think the 'pinking' was the cat heat shield, but when I collected I didn't hear much pinking myself. The 'pinking' seems to have got a lot better, but I'm thinking that it maybe the cat heat shield.

When I was at the other garage the mechanics said my car was misfiring slightly, but this garage said that it was normal for my car. Their electronic equipment didn't show any faults either. I personally don't think it is normal for a spitting noise comming out of the exhaust, is it?

The engine is also sounding really 'ropey' compared to when I got the car. It sounds about 5 years older, but the garage wouldn't be able to tell because they wouldn't know what a Seicento should sound like. I didn't tell them that it sounded ropey, because it's very hard to show them. This probably could also be related to the exhaust though.

What do you think? Dodgy exhuast baffles and loose cat heat shield? btw, my exhaust is only 6 months old!

Reply to
Peter

[snip]

I think you worry far, far too much.

Reply to
DervMan

That's what happens when you drive a car 2 miles backwards and forwards between college every day.

Reply to
Rob

Did it start making this noise when you got the new exhaust?

Peter Hill

Cheap pattern exhaust? it can make a lot of difference.

Reply to
Me

No it's only been making the noise for about a month.

Reply to
Peter

Hmm, maybe!

I was quite supprised today actually, it didn't have much pinking, and the exhaust didn't make any roaring. It did however make the 'spitting'/misfiring noise.

Reply to
Peter

Nah you do.

Reply to
DervMan

lol :-(

I was starting to think that I was imagining things, but I can't be. Before I changed my ignition leads my car sounded like it had a bannana stuck up the exhaust. It really sounded terrible, infact was really shocked that it actually worked.

It was like a very quiet roar. Could this have been because it was hardly burning anything? It was fairly hard to hear the engine, from the back, of the car without putting my ear near the exhaust. Would it have burnt very little fuel (making it quiet) and then the gasses came out easily because there weren't much of them (creating a roar)? I'm probably wrong aren't I. I certainly wasn't imagining this noise, it sounded terrible.

I think the noise went mostly when I changed my spark plugs though, but I'm not sure. Other than the 'misfiring' the car seems to be fairly good now.

Reply to
Peter

WTF?!?!?!

Reply to
Rob

lol! It's 'throaty' kinda noise that I'm talking about when I say roar.

Reply to
Peter

It's your total lack of understanding about how an engine works, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics that I'm saying WTF at!

Reply to
Rob

lol, just an idea. I thought it may have been unlikely. I can't understand how it could've sounded so bad though.

Reply to
Peter

I don't have time to even begin to explain :-)

Reply to
Rob

Peter (petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's only one answer, Peter.

Adrian

6 miles! I wouldn't do 2 miles! My mum does trips of around 2 miles all of the time, but she doesn't even have mayonaise around the oil filler cap. btw, I don't have mayonaise either.
Reply to
Peter

Saturdays and speed bumps come to mind.

There's more to it than just this. Six mile trips are still short.

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah :-( It's 3 miles on weekends, but 6 during the week.

It's not really short, just slightly short. My car usually warms up during this trip though, especially when I'm in slow moving traffic.

Reply to
Peter

I've sorted the pinking on my car. I seperated the HT leads, so that I don't get the sparks jumping across them. It's almost completely gone, but not 100% and it's still 'misfiring'.

How come the mechanics told me that it was running properly after putting the car on their magic computer etc? I don't care what their machine says, I know the misfiring's and pinking's not normal. They had told me that the pinking was probably the CAT head sheild, but moving the HT leads shouldn't affect that should it?

If the computer can't even tell whether the spark's jumping across the HT leads then it's not very good is it? Having said that the mechanic should've known that the pinking and misfiring wasn't normal. How does the machine check the 'ignition patterns' etc? I thought it could show almost anything. I'm a bit annoyed really because I paid £61.10 to for them to tell me that there's nothing wrong with my car when there is!

Reply to
Peter

We have told you umpteen times to change the sodding HT leads. If therre's sparks jumping across them they are shot, end of story. Don't have much sympathy when you ignore good advice and pay for work that doesn't need to be done.

Reply to
Rob