63 roadster rebuild/ valve covers

The motor is the correct block+heads. However, the machine shop maestro, who is a real Chevy guru , informed me that the valve covers are not correct. Any recommendations on where to purchase an affordable, correct set?

Reply to
lib

Can you describe what you've got on there now?

The stock design for the 250 hp would have been an inverted "V" stamped steel with a flat area in the center where a decal was placed. This set is what yours should look like:

Here's an in-car set with the proper decals and decal positioning (at bottom of picture set):

A 327 cubic inch label goes on the rectangular portion on the wide face of the cover while the HP label goes on the lower center portion of the side. The HP label just appears as a dark rectangle in these photos.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Those appear to be the same covers that are on my engine w/ the same decal. I was told they should be the finned model w/ Corvette in raised letters. Thanx for the info.

Reply to
lib

No. Those finned covers were factory installed on the Fuelies and other higher HP engines. However, they were also available as an over-the-counter, dress-up item that was easily added by consumers. I forget the specifics of the applicable model years and engines, but the lower HP engines, certainly the 250s and 300s, came with the plain steel covers.

If you go with the finned covers - they admittedly look better - then keep the steel ones for a future owner or restoration.