3VZE leaking valve covers

I have a '91 4runner. I've been trying to get the valve covers to quit leaking. Yes I've even used new gaskets with form a gasket put to key areas. Still leaking. I had the heads off and it looks like the problem is that at each bolt, there is a metal sleeve that keeps you from running the covers down tight on the gaskets. Is it possible that the sleeves have allowed the covers to "raise" up a little. Causing the problem. Is this a known problem? If so what is the fix?? Thanks RAW

Reply to
RAW

I was told it's a sign of a warped head. Has the engine overheated from a leaky radiator, before?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Same problem with two sets of heads. First with new gasket job, then with new rebuilt engine. The only thing not changed was the covers.

Reply to
RAW

It's a common problem with the 3VE heads, so I'm told. You could try using a slightly shorter bolt.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

new gaskets with form a gasket put to key areas.

is a metal sleeve that keeps you from running the

little. Causing the problem.

I have no idea weather your valve covers are like the Supra's but if they are then:

I use locktight on the cover screws and only screw them in until the cover rubber gasket compressed about right. They are not tight and it has never leaked like that.

If I tighten the screws it always leaks. If I disturb the screws (locktight fails) eventually they back out and it leaks. If I don't use locktight it either leaks or the screws back out.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.