700r4 Tranny problems

Hey guys iv got an 84 corvette and the tranny went out on me about a month ago. i hane first ,netural, and reverse, im not sure what would be the best way to go. should i rebuild it or buy a remanufactured one. i was reading your forum and there was a posting about the weak trannys in the 84's and to upgrade. upgrade to what . any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
DJ84

If it lasted this long, how weak could it be? What will a rebuild cost you?

Where do you live? I have a near-new '84 Vette 700r4 tranny sitting in my garage (CA) that I bought used in 1985 or 86 and never did get around to using... I don't know the mileage, but the engine and trans looked brand new, and had been sitting in a garage for about a year before I bought it for a future project (that never happened). I suspect I'd sell it for less than a rebuild.

The engine's long block ended up in my daily driver after an unexpected engine failure back then (I needed an engine in a hurry, and that one was available), but that car's tranny (a '71 Turbo 400) was still in great shape and I didn't have time to fool with alterations to the driveshaft, mounts, or linkage. I believe I still have the converter and ring gear with the tranny. I might still have a few other parts somewhere from that engine, but shortly after I installed the engine I sold the cross-ram together with the intake manifold, air cleaner, and distributor. (That's an interesting story in itself... the parts were sent COD and I ended up waiting months to get paid by UPS, who ate the loss when the unscrupulous "buyer" pulled a fast one on them after they made a delivery mistake; that guy called me and gloated about getting the parts free; I would have gone and strangled him if he was anywhere close by. UPS should have prosecuted him, and I'd have been happy to testify, but it wasn't worth the $$ so they wrote it off).

Reply to
WayneC

In most places I know of, you can expect $1200 - $1400 to rebuild a 700R4.

Remanufactured, like from the chain parts stores, I'd stay clear of. If rebuilt like their engines, the cheapest parts are used and only the parts needed. In an Advanced Auto Parts I know of, there is a small block where the driver's side bank goes: .040, .040, .060, .040.

Would you want an engine like that? I can't imagine the transmissions are different.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

go straight to GM and buy a brand new one for less than $2k Why trust a rebuilder when GM give you a complete new trans and guarantee ?

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

I had my 89 rebuilt about 2 1/2 years ago by a local shop and it's still going strong. Mike

Reply to
mike

GM transmission will be reliable and as smooth as new.

If you look at the other side of the coin, rebuild for more torque capability. (Not the sort of thing to turn over to AAMMCO.) There are stronger clutch packs from outfits like Raybestos. Torque convertors with higher stall ratios. Trade-off is rougher shifts. Really rough shifts!

Corvette Fever covered the in's and outs of rebuilding a couple of months ago. Pretty much general but some details.

Reply to
PJ

then try this

Kickstart

The rebuilds gonna cost about $1200 iv called every place in the phone book and thats about as cheap as it gets. Im located in oklahoma if your serious about the tranny go ahead and e mail me about what your asking for the transmission. snipped-for-privacy@pilotsweb.com. thanks

Reply to
DJ84

what did that run you? did you use preformance parts when it was rebuilt?

Reply to
DJ84

thanks ill look into that

Reply to