1989 Corolla tranny out

I have an 1989 Corolla in excellent condition with 95,000 miles on it....body and interior excellent and everything works. Today the tranny locked up on the way home . I had it towed to then tranny shop nearby that I have dealt with in the past. They said there is a second fluid fill underneath that was very low. The wheels are hard to turn and the car is not driveable. They want $1,200 for labor,plus tax plus parts to fix it.....could be $2,000 I believe. Is this out of line? I told them to hold off for a day or so. Any advice would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

It sounds like you have the 3 speed automatic (no overdrive button on the shift lever). If the differential fluid resevoir is low, most often resulting from a recent incorrect fluid service by an unaware mechanic, the differential will fail in short order. Alternately, there could have been a slow leak at an axle seal, case joint, or drain plug washer that went unattended for too long.

Unfortunately, this pretty much totals the transaxle,as it is usually cheaper to get a good junkyard unit than to replace all of the worn metal differential parts. Not knowing the extent of damage on your trans, it is impossible to say what your shop's repair strategy is without you posting a written estimate. If your shop thinks they can repair the unit, then see if they will give you an estimate to replace the trans with a junkyard unit as an alternative method.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish