Brake pedal adj. on C2?

I want the brake pedal to engage the brakes further from the floorboards on my 63 (non-power, shoes/drums). I pulled the drums before I started my run
home, and turned the adjusting star-type nut in the front brakes so the shoes moved closer to the drums. (There are no holes in the backing plate to stick a braked adj. tool/spoon thru, so must remove the drum, but that's another story).I also backed up the car and applied the brakes a number of times and neither process changed the pedal engagement. All the shoes, cylinders, and drums are either new, re-built, or turned. The pedal does not change if "pumped" either, and has shown no change of fluid in the master cylinder. Thanx- lib

It is a closed system so the only way to shorten the stroke on the pedal is to shorten the movement of the brake shoes. Backing plates on '63s have the hole for a brake spoon. It may have a rubber or metal plug in it but the hole should be there. Adjust the star wheel until the shoes drag on the drum, step on the brake pedal a couple times to center the shoes in the drums then spin the wheel again to see if it is still dragging. If not, repeat the above. Once you are satisfied that they are centered then back the adjuster off 3 clicks. Shoes may still drag but very lightly. Do that on all wheels and then check the throw on the pedal. It should be at the minimum.
You may have an adjustable push rod on the master cylinder. I remember seeing one on a '64 but they are rare.
PDDeen