Can I put thicker tires on my car ?

Got a '77 Want to buy new tires (current are showing small cracks where the thread meets the sidewalls) Size 245/60 R15
I was wondering, (judging by the space left in the wheel well if I
could upgrade to slightly wider tires ? These are wide enough, but it would look cooler with slightly wider tires. (with white raised letters) I don't want the tires to hit the wheel well or become a problem when turning the front wheels..
Here are a few images of my car and tires.
http://www.eslurf.com/corvette/corvette28.jpg
http://www.eslurf.com/corvette/vette1.jpg
http://www.eslurf.com/corvette/vette0.jpg
what would you guys recommend?
thanks Ash
Yes, you should be able to run a 255/60-15 with only minor issues.
In 1978, that became the optional stock tire size. However, on the '78s equipped with them, they trimmed the inner fender of the front wheelwells. So after mounting a 255/60-15 on the front, you would need to check your clearance to be sure it isn't rubbing or hitting the fiberglass. The problem would most likely occur when turned to full lock in either direction or when hitting a bump, drive the entrance to a driveway where one side is forced up while the other is not.
If you use the steel Rally wheels, you would need to check the emergency cable bracket on the trailing arm to be sure it isn't hitting the tire. With some brands of tires, it is possible for it to touch and cut the inner sidewall. They may have moved it slightly in '78 but by '79 I know they definitely did so that the optional tire size would not hit. On your wheels, you may have different issues depending on their width and offset.
Great looking '77. I had a friend who had one new. It didn't look that good new. The wheels really add a great touch.

79 with 17's
http://www.westolivecustom.com/images/red-vette02.jpg
255x 50 x17 no issues compare tires sizes to rim change sizes by using the speedo info found on this site, You can find the same size diameter or circumference tire by checking the speeds outcome http://www.keislerauto.com/tools/c4vette_analyzer_5sp.html or just to check what tire changes affect your speed
kickstart

Love those wheels on that year/color vette!
eslurf wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090905010200080704060000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
My only critique is to get the front dropped down just a bit... The profile shot look like it's a tad nose high and the tire seems a bit too far from the fender lip. Or I'd say raise the rear a tad, which is much easier to do. But it looks like the front needs dropped.
Good looking Shark though!
eslurf wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010608010100050700040409 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
It might just be the photo, the frt tire just seems to not fit the fender lip. Like it's just a tad high. But like I said it might just be the angle of the photo. Especially if you haven't noticed it. It's apparent you know what looks good or looks out of place. Cuz that is a really nice looking shark.
Here's my '94 6speed ragtop. I have 12 in rims and 335's on the rear.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/interior.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/newtop1.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/newtop3.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/quarterview.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/sideview.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/_/r_seyler/vettefrtbrk.jpg
eslurf wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

Dad wrote:

Of interesting note, Dad; I was reading about the latest Z51 on our C6's and the articles I read say that a Z51 on an LS2 Corvette put it in the same handling league as Z06 and that there is almost no discernable difference between the two on the track when it is Z51 vs Z06. I am so glad I did not get a Z06 this time (I got the 05 coupe and it replaced an 03 Z06).
From Corvette Museum: http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml Z51 Performance Package. The Z51 Performance Package brings Corvette Coupe performance very close to the same level as the widely admired Z06. The Z51 offers more aggressive dampers and springs, larger stabilizer bars, and larger, cross-drilled brake rotors for optimum track performance capability while still providing a well-controlled and comfortable ride. Extensive racetrack testing reveals that a C6 equipped with the Z51 suspension almost equals the lap time of a C5 Z06 - marking a major advance in the overall performance of a Corvette Coupe by nearly approximating the extreme performance capabilities of the vaunted Z06 at a remarkable value.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050903070803030900040503 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
eslurf wrote:

--
Ric Seyler