Clutch selection for a 1970 BB

Page 1 of 2
Was wondering if any C3 owners have used a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, and, how it compares to a Hays heavy duty Clutch ? Thanks.

Dave,
CenterForce is a good clutch, there are other considerations too, here is an interesting discussion with good info. I have not heard of a Hays clutch though!
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid 054
dave wrote:

Thanks much. Ill read the site you gave me.
The design on the centerforce (weights, inertia on the weights helps with clamping force, not just relying on stronger springs) lends itself to a lighter pedal effort, to me is a fairly big consideration.
dave wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Ric,
Hate to sound ignorant, but is this what is referred to as a "dual-mass" clutch on my car?
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Don't think so, dual mass is refering to a flywheel, clutch setup, not just the clutch. Some General Motors and Ford Pickup Trucks with Diesel engines are equipped with a dual mass flywheel. By design, the dual mass flywheels acts as a shock dampener during the overstressing power stroke. They also stuck some in Corvettes, you have to replace the flywheel and the clutch as both wear about the same, $700 to $1,000 replacement cost for parts.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Hmm. When I first got the car almost 2 years ago, I had it in to a Chevy dealer to diagnose an occasional drivetrain noise. They put it on a lift, starting running it, and got it stuck in 3d gear. They called me with this information and started talking about a new transmission. I freaked and had a talk with the service manager, told him the damn transmission wasn't broke when I took it in. In the end, they fixed what they broke on their dime, but I had the clutch replaced, since the trans was already out and they ate the labor on that. But the repair list said they "resurfaced" the flywheel. I later learned here that dual-mass flywheels aren't supposed to be resurfaced. Still, I've had no further issues with the clutch/trans, other than replacing the clutch master cylinder last summer.
The noise I was originally complaining about still exists, and it's on the list for next year. It won't go back to that dealer, though. A local Corvette club pointed me to a much better shop. At any rate, this year's 'Vette budget is about shot.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Just a thought, maybe the original noise came from the flywheel being replaced with a non-dual mass flywheel. Common change but if not then at least the flywheel couldn't have been worn very much. Then again did you see the "resurfaced" fly wheel? I don't trust my cars to many people and when I do they better have the old parts or show me the new ones as they put them in or the cost is theirs. Even on the one bad experience I had when I went dead on the freeway they gave me back a freshly cleaned Corvette, like they were delivering it new, and all of the parts they changed.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

No, I didn't see it, and the repair bill said they outsourced that item. If Ric is correct and he customarily is, I'd be hearing gear rattle without the dual-mass, and I do not. I'm not sure what the noise is. It is most noticeable when turning at low speeds, after I've driven the car a bit. In a somewhat lame defense of the dealer, they did wash and wax the car before I finally got it back, after 13 days in their shop.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp
I think I remember the ZF rattle/non-dualmass situation occurred at idle and not under load.
CardsFan wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Very true. It was like night and day. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

==================Fairly Big ????? With a pair of old catchers knees...and Senior Citizen status... a lighter pedal effort is a Major Consideration for me... Adjusted the clutches on 4 of my Corvettes this summer just to save a little pedal effort ...and the knees... royal pain in the ass (well knees anyway) when you get older...... Honestly if I succeded is questionable but at least I tried...lol
Bob G. 65 & 72 Ragtops 76 79 & 95 Coupes...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050401060006060607030300 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I concur Bob!! Even the clutch in my '94 seem waay to stiff for me now.. Pulling up to every stoplight I am throwing it into neutral before even getting stopped. I don't remember it being that stiff 11 years ago. :-)
But maybe age has caused the slave/master cyl and the T-Out bearing somehow harder to move. Or the pressure plate has stiffened up somehow. Dunno, or I'm just creaking into the old fart stage of life... :-)
Bob G. wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
wrote:
The design on the centerforce (weights, inertia on the weights helps with clamping force, not just relying on stronger springs) lends itself to a lighter pedal effort, to me is a fairly big consideration.
==================Fairly Big ????? With a pair of old catchers knees...and Senior Citizen status... a lighter pedal effort is a Major Consideration for me... Adjusted the clutches on 4 of my Corvettes this summer just to save a little pedal effort ...and the knees... royal pain in the ass (well knees anyway) when you get older...... Honestly if I succeded is questionable but at least I tried...lol
Bob G. 65 & 72 Ragtops 76 79 & 95 Coupes...
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
LOLOLOL Bite Me Moses!!! ;-)
Dad wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Now that's what you call a brain fart, how the hell did I get each instead of eat?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010302080700020401060606 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Dad wrote:

--